No announcement yet.

oil filter cover studs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possible the oring slipped and you pinched it. its happened to me. good to have an extra on hand just in case.
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Is that a giant spill of blue loctite on the right side of the cover.
      could it be part of the problem? Did you sue and OEM filter? The gaskets that come with those are a lot better than a FRAM or other replacement.

Comment

the o-ring was messed up, and I think I know why I accidentally sprayed carb cleaner on it when I was cleaning out the stud holes. When I took the cover off, the o-ring was a big mess. I have another one though. On the other hand, on the 200, I managed to get my brake shoes in place, back in the rear wheel and got the rear wheel mounted, chain adjusted, brake arm and torque link back together and torqued, and axle nut torqued, with appropriate cotterpins all around. Then I discovered that Bike Bandit sent me fuel lines that are too small Oh well, another reason that motorcycles are easier than women. You can use your tools on one, then walk across the garage and use them on the other one, and neither of them get jealous

Comment

put the other O-ring in, cover on, socked in those lock nuts and topped off the oil, and no leaks! I know it's small, but it always feels good to square away a mechanical problem.

Comment

Well done David, those nuts will never come off now. Especially now they are torqued up to the correct tension.

A year ago I bought a small 1/4" torque wrench for doing up all the 6mm nuts and bolts on the 550/650, especially for the valve cover and such things. Last thing you want is a stripped thread in the cylinder head for valve cover bolts. Si I now torque all the 6mm nuts as a matter of course -- for one thing you can be sure it does not strip the alloy in the head, etc. and another benefit is the correct torque is applied to prevent leaks, etc. from the parts concerned.

So Nyloc nuts + new "O" ring + correct torque = no leaks and no nuts falling off or coming undone.

So all you need to do now is the same task on the 850.
            Last edited by Guest; 05-15-2011, 02:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              Well done David, those nuts will never come off now. Especially now they are torqued up to the correct tension.

A year ago I bought a small 1/4" torque wrench for doing up all the 6mm nuts and bolts on the 550/650, especially for the valve cover and such things. Last thing you want is a stripped thread in the cylinder head for valve cover bolts. Si I now torque all the 6mm nuts as a matter of course -- for one thing you can be sure it does not strip the alloy in the head, etc. and another benefit is the correct torque is applied to prevent leaks, etc. from the parts concerned.

So Nyloc nuts + new "O" ring + correct torque = no leaks and no nuts falling off or coming undone.

So all you need to do now is the same task on the 850.
              Don, what is the correct torque on those nuts? I can't seem to find it in my Clymer's manual. As for the 850, I no longer have it. That's another story

Comment

Originally posted by davidduarte View Post
                Don, what is the correct torque on those nuts? I can't seem to find it in my Clymer's manual. As for the 850, I no longer have it. That's another story
                Hi. The torque for the Oil Filter Cover Nuts is .6 to .8 kg-m or 4.5 to 6.0 lb-ft

Comment

Working...
                X