No announcement yet.

Long Rides and Highway Cruising!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That might not look too bad as long as you don't have buckhorns on it. mine came with one of these- http://www.nationalcycle.com/catalogue/Classic.shtml
    First thing i took off the bike when i got home. Luckily i kept it and i can at least try to cut it down to a decent size.

Comment

Check your sprocket sizes. rlong74 17/42 would be like 2 up on the front, to your 16/45. You may need to change both

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
        Check your sprocket sizes. rlong74 17/42 would be like 2 up on the front, to your 16/45. You may need to change both
        I have the TX which gives me 16/43. I do need to change the rear which I will be doing soon and I may go down to a 42.
        Thanks SqDancer

Comment

My '81 450L is great for a long cruise on the highway. I have to wonder how fast you plan to be going if you're cruising at 7K on the tach. I'm usually about 4500 to 5500K at about 65 to 70 mph in 6th gear...gets me close to 65 to 70 mpg. The highway bars, if you have them, make the ride a joy. The only big thing I did to make the bike more comfortable was to put on a 1986 seat.

As for riding 200 miles straight...take the scenic route. I always find a place or two along the way that I want to stop and enjoy the views.

BTW...I've never had to bungie cord my side covers on. Just make sure you put them on correctly and you'll be fine.
          1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
          The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

She's spinning about 5k at 60 which should be pretty comfortable. I have some case savers on the bike which i can put my feet up if need be.
            I plan on making this a full day deal. I got a buddy that lives near the mountain in case I'm too tired to make it back. Not trying to win any races, just enjoy the scenery and some twisty roads.

Comment

Originally posted by snark View Post
              My '81 450L is great for a long cruise on the highway. I have to wonder how fast you plan to be going if you're cruising at 7K on the tach. I'm usually about 4500 to 5500K at about 65 to 70 mph in 6th gear...gets me close to 65 to 70 mpg.

As for riding 200 miles straight...take the scenic route. I always find a place or two along the way that I want to stop and enjoy the views.
              The stock gears on my '81E are 16/45... in 6th I run about 100 RPM/ 1 MPH. I'll be on the interstate for ~150 miles so I'd like to cruise at ~70+ if possible.

Finding scenic spots is no problem, well, actually, it may be THE problem 'cause there are too many! The routes from Denver to Rapid City (Sturgis) have several legs of 40 miles + without any services or towns.

I've decided to trailer the bike since I don't have any luggage for it. I think I'm still going to order new sprockets though, probably start with a 17-tooth front and if that doesn't do it for me I'll try a 43-tooth rear in addition.

Comment

Working...
              X