Gs400 Intake boot->Where to buy one?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unfortunately, "Biker's choise" are close, but -no cigar

All the hole line up and it fits the carb perfectly but the shape of the base is a bit longer than the oem boot. At first I didnt think it would be a problem, but as I bolted them in place, the metal base started to bend. Bowing down at the ends and arching up in the center. Not good.
    Will be looking for a real oem set.

Good news is that after taking off the old boots and inspecting them- they actually seem good- no cracks, still flexible but the orings looked a little worn. ( I think that it was leaking at the base.)
    On any other GS's you'd just change the orings, but the "oring" on this bike, or boot at least, is a built-in lip on the manifold boot. I think that this is a "pre-78" thing. The fiche for '77 gs400x (what I got) has no o-ring, while the fiche for the 78 gs400x has boots and rings. Im gonna order from the 78 list.

When I reinstalled them, I added one of the "carb gaskets"- pink rubbery paper material, looks like baseball card gum- in between the boot and the spacer block. So far so good. No leaks. The gaskets are like $3 each, so if anyone else has these wierdo boots - this may be the cheap and easy way to get a little more life outta them.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2011, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Bummer on the alternatives, but hopefully those gaskets will sort it for you.

The main problem with mine was the rubber had shrunk, so the internal diameter where the carbs go was too big to seal properly and the outside diameter was too small to clamp properly.

Hopefully you won't have that issue...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

FYI here is the parts list for the 77 400 from GSSuzuki. those gaskets (#20) are $1.73 each.

Comment

Like their prices...Hows shipping?

Comment

Shipping time was a bit slower than others but not bad. I ordered my 550 boots from them on the 16th and received them this past Monday (26 Sep). Course Z1's stuff arrived before theirs (22 Sep) and so did my carbtune from England (24 Sep)
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by charbot View Post
              Like their prices...Hows shipping?
              I am not sure but I think they have a minimum on their shipping on their website. It seemed like $10 to me. But I would say call them and ask. The guy that does their online stuff is Zach and he is almost helpful sometimes. I'll backup Cowboy and say it took me 12 days to get my order from GS, and only 2 days from Z1. But the Z1 parts weren't OEM so it may not be a fair comparison.

Comment

Working...
              X