Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adjusted the clutch...now can't ride. What?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know this won't surprise anyone, but Nessim nailed it. Followed his procedure (which is exactly opposite of the Clymer manual regarding where to set the helix screw) and got it dialed in.

Haven't tested 5th at higher rpm (getting some sprinkles after no rain for months and I have no desire to test these tires on potentially oil-slick roads,) but it pulls from low rpm in 1-4 with no slippage. Has appropriate free play at the lever and good tension on the pull.

Thank you for your help and patience with a rookie wrench.

Next up, tires and tubes.

Comment

Way to go Ed.
      I need to be more specific.
      I'm glad you got it sorted.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Chef,

I'm just to new at this to be sure what the screw was pushing on, or even what you meant.

I've never opened the clutch case on anything, so really have no idea of what is linking up with what.

I suppose the good news is that I can learn and am willing to listen to those with more experience/training. I've dealt with plenty that weren't.

Comment

Originally posted by oldrookie View Post
          Chef,

I'm just to new at this to be sure what the screw was pushing on, or even what you meant.

I've never opened the clutch case on anything, so really have no idea of what is linking up with what.

I suppose the good news is that I can learn and am willing to listen to those with more experience/training. I've dealt with plenty that weren't.
          I was giving Ed a hard time. He's my friend. Not directed at you.
          I am glad you got it straight.
          We all started somewhere with these old bikes.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sorry, Chef,
            Didn't mean to denigrate your contribution, just not experienced enough to understand what you were telling me.

Happy to learn, but I am very much the "oldrookie" when it comes to turning a wrench.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-19-2011, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Oldrookie: Nice work, and Ed's da man! Always... haha

Chef's da next man... you fellas know your stuff

I just recently did my 450 clutch then realised that was pretty pointless because I still have yet to get the chain on...

However, I followed the Clymer and it's pretty much the same as the GR by the sounds, so now I have a better process to follow
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Finally got a chance to run the bike today and test the clutch. Pulls strongly in all gears with no clutch slip. Excellent!

Then the bike about scared the crap out of me. Started a high pitch squeal and LOUD. Never heard a bike do that before. The tach was jumping all over as was the gas gauge. Couldn't figure out what was going on. Thought of wheel bearings, clutch...but mostly thought about having left my cell phone at home. Stopped and shut the bike off. Noise went away. Headed for home. Squeal started again within two hundred yards.

Bike seemed to be running really well. Pulled strongly, stopped well...so I came on home. Did some searching and it appears that my tach cable is dry and perhaps binding.

Love the old bikes. Always one challenge after another.

Comment

The good news is the BWRinger's illustrated guide shows the same part numbers, so I'll be able to use his procedure to dig in a fix this new wrinkle.

Will order the parts and then start the tires while waiting for them to arrive.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    I was giving Ed a hard time. He's my friend. Not directed at you.
                    I am glad you got it straight.
                    We all started somewhere with these old bikes.
                    Okay, just didn't want to get sideways with anyone here. Looks like I have a base gasket leak which I'll need to fix this winter. Going to need all the patience and advice I can get.

Comment

Yeah these little things tend to crop up, but you're definitely winning! So the squeal was definitely the cable then? I need to rip the cores out of mine and lube them actually now that you mention it... thanks for reminding me!
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

The thread that keeps on giving!

Sold my GR last summer (reluctantly) as I couldn't afford to maintain two bikes with two kids in college. Now riding an '01 SV650.

Dove into a chain replacement today and ran into a problem setting the clutch up again after the front sprocket was changed out. Have to release the clutch cable to remove and install the front sprocket in this bike.

Remembered this thread and the help/advice provided by Nessism and Chef1366. Dug it up, followed instructions and off to the races!

(For the record--new chain and sprockets--worth the price and time to install!)

So, even though I'm not logging in nearly as often, I just wanted to say thank you again to all of you for your patient assistance to newbie wrenches. This forum and those who freely offer their advice/wisdom/experience make(s) a difference.

Comment

Working...
                        X