No announcement yet.

81' GS 450t starting and idling issues.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And it looks like it's actually an LT made in 1980 distributed in 81.

Thats cool to know!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Rogers View Post
      And it looks like it's actually an LT made in 1980 distributed in 81.

Thats cool to know!
      That is what I thought from all that shiny chrome on there.
      I hear some people talk ill of the 'L' but I see nothing wrong with them. Mechanically almost identical.
      Hopefully that info will make it easier for you to find the right parts, but never be afraid to ask.
      I bought my parts at GSSuzuki if I want the cheapest price or locally for the fastest arrival. I think I ended up saving like $60 over 3 orders even with paying for shipping. Seems to take about 10 business days to receive the parts from them though so for me it's a week quicker to order locally. Except when they screw it up (My local shop is not so good with customer service)

Comment

Hey guys, I just put this up today

its about the airbox sleeves

Comment

Originally posted by Cdnpt1 View Post
          Hey guys, I just put this up today

its about the airbox sleeves
          Good to note, now I have to go doublecheck my alignment.

Maybe something useful to get put onto BassCliff's site as a tutorial?

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post
            That is what I thought from all that shiny chrome on there.
            I hear some people talk ill of the 'L' but I see nothing wrong with them. Mechanically almost identical.
            Hopefully that info will make it easier for you to find the right parts, but never be afraid to ask.
            I bought my parts at GSSuzuki if I want the cheapest price or locally for the fastest arrival. I think I ended up saving like $60 over 3 orders even with paying for shipping. Seems to take about 10 business days to receive the parts from them though so for me it's a week quicker to order locally. Except when they screw it up (My local shop is not so good with customer service)
            AHHH S**** i hate it when i see that i could have saved some money eh it happens. but i'll keep these guys in mind on my next purchases. hopefully i'll be running like a champ once i get this hot hanging idle handled.

Comment

Originally posted by apopleptic View Post

Maybe something useful to get put onto BassCliff's site as a tutorial?
              I don't know how they decide that, maybe it would be useful to folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Cdnpt1 View Post
                I don't know how they decide that, maybe it would be useful to folks.
                Send BassCliff a private message and offer him the info. he'll probably put it on his site and give you a credit on his site. you can point him to the thread and let him make it himself or you can put it into a PDF and send it to him. I'm figuring he would prefer the latter.

Comment

Putting that up on BassCliff's site would be great, but you'll need to stick it in PDF format first then PM him about it.

As for parts, I've still yet to see anyone beat Boulevard Suzuki on price, and I've found their shipping prices to me here in Aus are good too.

I've heard mixed feedback about G&S Suzuki, seems sometimes the get it right and other times they don't and that their customer service is a bit up and down.

I haven't dealt with them so can't comment first hand...
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Ok, I will have to figure out how to make a PDF. I will pmm him today and offer. Thanks for the how-to.

Comment

Well, dunno about a how-to as such... haha

I think if you get the right software you can put it into Word and save as a PDF, but I may be wrong... I haven't actually attempted that myself yet but I will need to soon for some Dynatek instructions.
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

A couple of things after reading through this...

1. There probably was that much oil in motor because some places tell you to fill it to the bottom of the filler hole for storage.

2. Your original problem was most likely an air leak (seems you already figured this out) from the intake boot O rings. There is nothing special about the O rings and your local dealer should have them in stock. They're a very common part. I change them any time I pull the carbs because they are that easy to do. BTW...swap out the boot screws with Hex Bolts. Makes life a lot easier.

3. I don't know if you got the boots yet, but if you can't find them PM me. I have a spare set.

4. Carb cleaning is a must. I don't know if you're stuck with the E10 crap where you live, but it makes carb cleaning that much more important.

5. A little tip I learned years ago...put a cap full of Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas tank every once in awhile (after you fill it up). It will help lubricate the top end and also seems to help with the drivability problems I get with E10.

Welcome to the GSR!
                        1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                        The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

I'm pretty sure that the "extra gas" was in fact oil since i could tell a difference in consistency between the oil that came out for the first half gallon or so to the last gallon that spewed out quickly.

I wish i had known that but yeah the boots are already on their way here right now. i also have some new o rings and hex bolts like you suggested. the PO said that he had the bike in a shop where they cleaned and tuned the carbs.

I doubt i can really trust just any bike shop with a bike this old and i wonder if it would have been possible with the air leaks that it has... but one thing i can say is that the bike purrs like a kitten when i start it up its only when i warm it up that the idle problems come so i'm pretty sure that the carbs are working well right now.

Should i open them up and clean them anyway? i've only got a month or so left for riding time so i wonder if it's a good idea. Also i'll likely need new gaskets if i open them up.

I'm not sure what e10 is i'm going to do some research... i'll also keep an eye out for the oil additive.

Thanks snark, and everyone else who's helped. i'll let you know how things are once i get those boots in the mail...which seems like it's taking forever..

I imagine It is E10 since most of the US is dispensing it now right? seems typical that Fuel would in effect be watered down to cut costs and make it last longer..ha
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-02-2011, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Rogers View Post
                            Should i open them up and clean them anyway? i've only got a month or so left for riding time so i wonder if it's a good idea. Also i'll likely need new gaskets if i open them up.
                            You shouldn't need new gaskets. If you just pop the top and bottom of and spray them out you should be fine. I do that any time I have them off the bike.

I've taken mine apart and pulled the jets to spray everything out and have not had to replace any gaskets or O rings inside. You'll be amazed at how much gunk you can find in the screen.

E10 is gasoline that is 10% Ethanol. It is required in my county so any time I'll in a more rural area I fill up with the real stuff and notice a difference right away. It has little to do with watering the fuel down and everything to do with the EPA.
                            Last edited by snark; 10-02-2011, 09:14 PM.
                            1981 GS 450L

2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom

The good we do no one remembers.
                            The bad we do no one forgets.

Mark 5:36 -- Overhearing what they said, Jesus told him, "Don't be afraid; just believe".

Comment

ok well i do have new o rings for the carbs so i may as well replace them when i get the carbs off the bike. I'll grab a can of carb cleaner and spray em too.

do you know where i can grab that masters oil? is it normal to find it at an autozone or checker?

Comment

Don't grab a can of carb cleaner. Go to Basscliff's site, download the carb rebuild tutorial, and dip them properly or you will continue to have issues.
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X