Uh OH.... I think I lost a piston ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
    Any idea on how i could cure this issue? ugh.
    Thanks!
    Replace the petcock, clean the carbs paying special attention the the float levels and needle valve, change the oil.
    Should be good to go.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No way
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Since you have a non vacuum petcock, gas must be leaking by the float valve on left side. Your carb servicing- did you replace any parts with aftermarket stuff? Folks on here are adamant that non Mikuni carb parts are poor quality. In any event, don't get lazy- pull, clean, inspect, and adjust BOTH carbs to ensure all is well.
        1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I was very through and didnt replace any parts... Soaked all the parts over night. Reassembled after cleaning all the passage ways with compressed air, bike ran much better after that.
          You think I should order new float valves? I know after the years they can become grooved and if you pull them out they won't set right again...There is a site you can look at all the Feiches of tge bikes and irder accordingly(Suzuki parts), don't have the name for My computer is in moth balls at the moment. However maybe I should just replace them...
          Thanks guys you've been most helpful!
          -Justin
          Jedz Moto
          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
          1988 Honda GL1500-6
          2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
          2020 Honda Monkey Z125
          2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
          Originally posted by Hayabuser
          Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Do you always shut the gas off?

The price on OEM float valves is kind of salty. A couple years ago, I put a set of cheap aftermarket ones in a 1000G. So far so good, but we'll see. The OEM ones had a much nicer mesh screen on the top of the seat.
            Last edited by 850 Combat; 11-14-2011, 01:54 AM.
            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

www.ronayers.com is where I sourced a new valve needle. it's $45 for the valve needle assembly(Suzuki OEM). I found cheap needles but they were for an 1980 GS400E, don't think it will work. Where did you get yours Combat?

I left the gas on once by accident and gas slowly leaked onto the floor over night... Bad habit I guess for my other bikes have vacuum controlled Petcocks. I turn it off now every time but still the problem persists...
              Jedz Moto
              1980 Suzuki GS1000G
              1988 Honda GL1500-6
              2020 Honda Monkey Z125
              Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

First of all, check Z1 for float needles. 6 pack for way cheaper than $45. That's highway robbery. If they're grooved, they won't seal. I'd sniff your oil too, if it's gassy, you've got issues. If enough gas is in the oil, it will thin it out to the point that it will pass the rings and valve stem seals. I recently had a buddy bring me an ATV (600cc single THuMP!) that he thought had bad rings. After stripping the top end down, checking specs on everything, I found that the rings were well within spec. But the first thing I noticed was that the crank case was crazy full of gas. Like over the crank full. When we pulled the drain plug it gushed like a waterfall, filling my 2 gallon drain pan full.
                I surmised that the problem was indeed that, oil was so thin it was passing the rings. I put new valve seals in, kept the rings, put it all back together, rebuilt the carb and replaced the non vacuum petcock (they do go bad too) and she ran like a champ.

Check it out. Gas in your oil is bad bad news. It can wash the bearings and cause all sorts of expensive issues.

Comment

I don't remember where i got mine. They came with a carb rebuild kit. It had the entire valve.

Comment

Thanx HoligAn for the info. I drained the oil a couple of weeks ago after discovering where my gas was leaking too(crank case :/)... The neddle valves are grooved for sure! ill check Z1 for new ones.
                    Jedz Moto
                    1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                    1988 Honda GL1500-6
                    2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Hey brother something else I thought of that, if you're sure your not dumping fuel into the cases and you still have issues:

Your bike still running points and condenser ignition?
                      If you have a condenser that's gone bad, it won't fire worth a crap. Sporadic at best if at all. The mess you may be seeing on the plug from that cylinder may simply be unburnt/poorly burnt fuel residue (if you leave the plug out and it evaporates after a bit and doesn't remain shiny and wet and black, it might not be oil)

An Aussie member we had visit us last season had this similar sounding situation. Bike, when cold, ran like a champ, but that condenser once it got hot would take a dump and it would drop a cylinder. Let the bike cool and it would run on all four pots again for a bit.

I'd check that out as well if you still end up stuck.
                      If your float needles are scored, I'd still replace them, but I thought I'd throw this out there as well...

Good luck!

Comment

I once owned a Triumph that would lose spark after about 30 minuits with an intermittant short in the coil. My first car, a 'Renault Dauphine, had a bad condenser that would allow it to run perfectly until it had a load, then it would misfire.

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                        Hey brother something else I thought of that, if you're sure your not dumping fuel into the cases and you still have issues:

Your bike still running points and condenser ignition?
                        If you have a condenser that's gone bad, it won't fire worth a crap. Sporadic at best if at all. The mess you may be seeing on the plug from that cylinder may simply be unburnt/poorly burnt fuel residue (if you leave the plug out and it evaporates after a bit and doesn't remain shiny and wet and black, it might not be oil)

An Aussie member we had visit us last season had this similar sounding situation. Bike, when cold, ran like a champ, but that condenser once it got hot would take a dump and it would drop a cylinder. Let the bike cool and it would run on all four pots again for a bit.

I'd check that out as well if you still end up stuck.
                        If your float needles are scored, I'd still replace them, but I thought I'd throw this out there as well...

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys I plan on buying new needles soon. I go on thanksgiving vacation starting Friday (gotta love being a UVM employee) I plan on trying to source some new needle valves in the mean time. Then actualy get it working over the break. The B-12 sprung an oil leak on the starter gear cover and that took up my time rsourcing and replacing that gasket. Gotta make sure the daily runner can still run I suppose!
                          I'll keep my eye on the spark issue but I know when I pull the plug and check it; even hot, it will still arc strong.
                          Thanks again!
                          Jedz Moto
                          1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                          1988 Honda GL1500-6
                          2020 Honda Monkey Z125

Comment

Working...
                          X