No announcement yet.

Cracked cam chain guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have to promise to post the after pictures.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Didnt you mean AFTERMATH pics????
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I can't believe what I just read, I have as much faith in that as I would in gluing a broken connecting rod together. There's lots of ways to cut corners, or cheat, but that isn't one of them. The risk/reward ratio is not favorable. Good Luck!
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page." :cool:

Comment

He could not have committed a dead component like that.
          It was crap and due for heaving.

Comment

IIRC, some of the factory Suzuki ones are glued to the cam shaft cover.
            I'll try to post some pic's tomorrow.

Daniel

Comment

I see guys. I am going to ask a bike builder and see what he thinks.

Comment

Dude...theres guys here that have been in the drag racing scene for more than 25 years, owned dealerships, have built more bikes than a dog has fleas, have more knowledge that they have forgotten than most people actually learn in a lifetime. So, in summation..if the concensus is to replace it with an unbroken part and NOT to JB Weld or glue it otherwsie I would listen and save the time and trip to "a bike builder"..just sayin.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

OK, don't listen. When your engine ingests the broken parts and grenades itself, please post up pictures for us to see. Some of the users here are the best GS experts you will find anywhere. Listen to them and replace that POS worthless part with at least a decent used part.

Comment

I'm not sure JB Weld would even stick all that well. The part is most likely impregnated with oil by this time. I wouldn't try it anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
                      IIRC, some of the factory Suzuki ones are glued to the cam shaft cover.
                      That may be true, but I'll bet that they didn't use JB Weld on oily parts to start with.

And, there is also quite a difference between butt-joining a piece that is expected to hold an important part and layering two pieces with a much larger surface area just to keep them from sliding.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

This looks an awful lot like that same part. It is from a 4 cylinder GS not sure of the model.

It is held by screws from the top. It also shows very little wear.
                        I believe that it is used in conjunction with a lower guide that mounts in the head.
                        Its purpose is to limit cam chain slap when the throttle is snapped shut on deceleration.
                        In this close-up, you can just barely see any wear.

I would think that if you turned it 180 degrees, used a thin plate of steel to wrap around the broken joint shaped
                        like a "C" and glued it all down with 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive and the original screws, you would be just fine.
                        Although, I would just get the $20.00 used part that was linked myself.

Daniel

Comment

Thats pretty much what I did. I just used JB weld. Mine had no wear on it. And I think its a safety if the cam chain tensioner looses tension it keeps the cam chain slap from hitting the valve cover.

Comment

If the tensioner loses tension there will be more than the chain slapping things. You'll have valves hitting pistons.
                            Last edited by Guest; 01-03-2012, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Love these people who ask what they should do , and then just disregard all the advice from people who have been doing this for years and do what they are told is wrong anyway. Why waste our or your time . Do what you want you will anyways
                              1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                              80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                              1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished :D
                              83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                              85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                              “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                              If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Originally posted by bakirkwold View Post
                                Thats pretty much what I did. I just used JB weld. Mine had no wear on it. And I think its a safety if the cam chain tensioner looses tension it keeps the cam chain slap from hitting the valve cover.
                                So, what did your "bikebuilder" buddy tell you?

Just spend a few bucks, get a good part, and replace that grenade pin that you are so hellbent on destroying your engine with.

Damn.....

Comment

Working...
                                X