Valve Adjustment Documentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve Adjustment Documentation?

Having availed myself of the search function, mega-welcome, etc, and found nothing, I'm still certain somebody has documentation somewhere for adjusting the valve clearances on a 450. Could somebody point me in the right direction?

Also, I've got most of one of my carbs sitting in Berryman's at the moment. The plan is:
    1. Finish carb cleaning
    2. Reinstall carbs
    3. Start bike, make sure nothing explodes.... too much.
    4. Adjust valve clearances
    5. Synchronize carbs

That seems to be the accepted order, but if somebody older and/or wiser has any suggested changes, I'm happy to hear them.

Hi,

I found this on some guy's website:

------------------------------
    Valve Adjustment Video

Kerry Burton of GStwin.com has put together a very informative video chronicling the process of valve adjustment on his GS500. The procedure will be the same for all GS twins. The principle is the same for all 2-valve GS motors.

CLICK HERE to go to the Google video.
    -------------------------------

That same website also has a Haynes and a Clymer manual for the GS450 and a carb rebuild guide.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi,

I forgot to give you your very own "mega-welcome".

Let me dump a TON of information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Cleanup Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. This is what NOT to do: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks a bunch!

Comment

Well, I never thought I would manage it - feel free to laugh, those of you who do this for fun every other weekend - but the carbs have been dipped and reassembled and there aren't any parts left over!

Should I remount the carbs before or after adjusting the valves? I'd really like to avoid having to take the carbs off and putting them back on again if I can avoid it, but it seems like I should make sure it starts with the carbs the way they are now...

Comment

Yeah, remount carbs, but don't test run yet- get to the valves. There will be plenty of carb fiddling later to excite you. You do have new cam cover gasket standing by, in case you need it?
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Have you emailed Steve yet for his spreadsheet? That's his name and username and you'll want that spreadsheet for tracking everything you have as well as the work you've done.
              Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
              1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
              2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
              Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
              and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                Have you emailed Steve yet for his spreadsheet? That's his name and username and you'll want that spreadsheet for tracking everything you have as well as the work you've done.
                Here, I'll make it easy for you. Info is down there.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Before you remount the carbs, did you do a bench test for the needle and seats? You need to connect a fuel source and see if they seal or not. Much better to test on the bench rather than having to remove them again to correct a leaky needle and seat.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
                    Steve sent me his spreadsheet earlier this week, so I've got this one covered.

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                    Yeah, remount carbs, but don't test run yet- get to the valves. There will be plenty of carb fiddling later to excite you. You do have new cam cover gasket standing by, in case you need it?
                    No carb fiddling would be the perfect amount. And no, I didn't even know there was a cam cover gasket. Z1, then?

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                    Before you remount the carbs, did you do a bench test for the needle and seats? You need to connect a fuel source and see if they seal or not. Much better to test on the bench rather than having to remove them again to correct a leaky needle and seat.
                    I haven't seen any references to bench testing the needle and/or seats before. I bench synced them to make sure the butterfly valves were open more or less the same amount (they were). Near the end of the carb teardown tutorial by Nessism, he's got the carb hooked up to test the floats - same test?

I found the tutorial by Flaming Chainsaws much easier to follow. Of course, it's for a 450 and I have a 450, so that goes without saying. Surprisingly, the hardest part of the whole process so far was trying to reassemble the choke lever's screws. The thing has, what, six washers? I'm glad I took pictures during disassembly.

I'm hoping to take her out this weekend. I live in Vancouver, WA, and, well, a whole weekend without rain? That's like winning the lottery.
                    Last edited by Guest; 05-11-2012, 11:16 AM. Reason: Hyphenation, weekend bit.

Comment

Welp, I put the carbs back in and secured, checked the that everything was as close to it was before as I could get it. Set it to prime for a minute or two, got fuel to leak out. Forgot to attach the vacuum plug tube.

Attach. Prime, wait a minute, give it a start. I get one normal, non-igniting turnover, before there's a light clack. I immediately let go of the Start button, check to make sure nothing else untoward is going on, and give it another shot.

Annnnd... Another clack, and a thick cloud of white smoke comes from just behind the airbox.

Want to guess who just burned out his starter motor? Or something? I don't know, really. I mean, it couldn't have been active for more than 5 seconds. Maybe I seized the engine?
                      Last edited by Guest; 05-12-2012, 02:02 AM. Reason: Speculation.

Comment

White smoke can be from a misfire. White smoke in airbox could have been from misfire.

Comment

So... I should just try to start it again?

Comment

Heck yeah. Give it a go. Don't let a couple pops scare you... If it continues popping- I'd confirm my ignition timing and coil connections to be sure they haven't been wired wrong. My GS450 has coil connections which can't be mixed up. Yours may be similar.

Comment

Originally posted by jinkside View Post
                              Welp, I put the carbs back in and secured, checked the that everything was as close to it was before as I could get it. Set it to prime for a minute or two, got fuel to leak out. Forgot to attach the vacuum plug tube.

Attach. Prime, wait a minute, give it a start. I get one normal, non-igniting turnover, before there's a light clack. I immediately let go of the Start button, check to make sure nothing else untoward is going on, and give it another shot.

Annnnd... Another clack, and a thick cloud of white smoke comes from just behind the airbox.

Want to guess who just burned out his starter motor? Or something? I don't know, really. I mean, it couldn't have been active for more than 5 seconds. Maybe I seized the engine?
                              This is slightly confusing. Where did the fuel leak out from?

Comment

Working...
                              X