How to know what parts to order

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to know what parts to order

I am looking at ordering some parts for the other bike - the future cafe racer. I want to start looking at servicing the motor and getting it running. It needs new intake boots and rings and I also want to replace all gaskets at some stage, just to be sure.

Now, the local Suzuki agent got me quoting the frame nr

and engine nr

and he got: "Vinn no gs40x-xxxxxx 4 cylinder"

anyway, the side cover says:

the frame starts with GS400 and engine GS450.

Should I be looking for GS400 parts? If I can't get stuff locally, then I would like to place 1 order to import.

Also, the tank has a nice dent where the PO must've hit his nuts or something:

Reckon it is repairable?

thanx!

Wally, you want the engine number and it definitely looks like a GS450 to me!

To be sure, there's a cubic capacity marked on the front of the cylinders, and if that reads 448cc then definitely a 450.

Maybe someone stuffed a 450 motor in a 400 frame? Certainly possible...

I'm no panel beater but it looks like that dent would come out reasonably easily if you knew what you were doing...
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Thanx Pete! The "know what I am doing part" is the problem...

Will check out to see if I can see the nrs. Just amazes me that the dude from Suzuki gave it as a 4 cylinder...that was where I gave up hope in finding parts locally...

He first wanted the engine nr and then decided no he needs the frame to quote me on intake boots.

Comment

1, need more pics of the engine and whole bike

2, gs400x twin and gs450 twin and gs500 base's are Identical.

3, If the valve cover caps are round its a 450. Rectangular its a 4 valve per cylinder 400

4, gs450 or 40x can be installed in either bikes frame and everything bolts up the same.

5, There is a 4 cylinder gsx400 so its no surprise that's what is coming up with the frame #. Oh and there is a single cylinder GN400 so don't be confused by that one either.

gsx400 = 4 cylinder
        gs40x = 2 cylinder 4 valve per cylinder
        gs450 = 2 cylinder with 2 valve per cylinder
        gs500 = bored out 450 with different block and head.

You probably have a gsx400 4 cylinder 4 valve per cylinder frame with a gs 450 engine in it.

You're best bet for gaskets is OEM Suzuki.

There are others on e-bay that will not hold up as well but will work ok.

Good news is that you can put lots of parts in there that are still available.

The GS500 is the same base and they are still making that bike with a few upgrades to the engine. Mostly lighter parts and better machining. But gaskets are easy to get as well as pistons and rings.

I think the easiest thing to do is to fill the dent and paint. That's what I would do.

I have tried with heat and cold while the tank was under pressure and it does help some but doesn't do enough to get rid of the dent completely. You could use a slide hammer and glue tabs to pull it a little at a time.
        Last edited by Mekanix; 06-01-2012, 05:45 PM.
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Here's Wally's first thread with pictures:

'83 GS650G
          '83 GS550es (didn't like the colours in the 80's, but they've grown on me)

Comment

Sweet, thanks I was just looking through his previous posts and found that

Ok So its definitely a 450 engine.
            Stephen.
            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

Thanx guys! Checked cylinder heads and indeed a 450! What freaks me out is that i told dealer they were twins! Anyway... Would love to smooth out dent as much as possible before going filler route or getting another tank. Will keep you posted on parts availability.

Comment

Working...
              X