No announcement yet.

GR650 Tempter help needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Rich...that was my next question. If the timing chain has jumped a tooth or is off, would it still start up and idle fine but then cause issues after the engine gets revved up going down the street under load?
    sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
    1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
    1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
    1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
    1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
    1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
    1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
    1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

I'm not entirely sure, I've never personally experienced a timing chain jump. But it would be easy to check before pulling the motor apart.

Comment

Yep..you're right. Pull the valve cover off and take a look. I think I'll try to do that this weekend. Thanks
        sigpic

Comment

Hey Super, I just read your son is on DTT. Is his name William (Bill)? I think I shipped a muffler to you guys for somebody else about a year ago.........

Comment

Yep...that's my boy! He's working on a Tempter too. But it's kind of gone to the wayside right now. He's done a great job on it but he's got a bad oil pan.

The PO had some kind of plumbing/rubber gasket/ screw thing for the oil plug and when we got it off we found that the oil pan has a small crack in it right where the oil plug screws into the pan. And the threads are stripped. The PO probably over tightened the plug so we're looking for one. If you hear of one or a Tempter parts bike...let us know. Thanks
            sigpic

Comment

Quick update: And another adventure in the Tempter saga. After pulling the head off the engine, we dicovered that the left connecting rod, where the knock was coming from, seemed to have a some play in it. A lot more than the right side. So that lead me to go ahead and start taking the engine apart.

All was going well until I get to the last bolt left before I could crack open the engine cases. You know the ones? There's 2 of them that sit inside 2 little tubes, and they're allen head bolts. Yep...I stripped the last one!!

So I tried to weld a bit to it so we could get enough purchase to turn her. Didn't work and it left some metal slag on the offending bolt head. I was able to chisel off most of the excess metal and am now going to try and drill out enough to try and use an extractor.

I will say though that taking an engine apart is quite a lot of fun. It really opens up your mind to be able to see all the parts, where they are and how they all go together to make the engine go. And it was going so well...Any way, I will update later. And of course any insights would be greatly appreciated.
              sigpic

Comment

No insights for you, but good luck with it. Sure hope you like riding it after all the problems it has given you!

Comment

Well your this far and your going to replace the bolt,,, just drill it off.

Usually I start with these two and use an electric impact gun to pop them off.
                  Stephen.
                  1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

Hey Mekanix...in hind sight, I would do the same. Impact them off first and go from there. But this is my first time doing this so it's a learning curve kind of thing. And to be honest, I'm actually happy I've gotten this far with only stripping one bolt!! I didn't even see these bolts at first. They're hard to see in the black and white shop manual photos.

I'm going to take my time and drill this out. I've drilled out stripped bolts before. Never a fun thing but do-able if you're patient and careful.

Oldrookie...I'm sure I'm going to REALLY enjoy this bike once she's up and running. Especially so if I get her all back together!!

Thanks everyone and keep any engine rebuilding advise coming in.
                    sigpic

Comment

Some inspiration...haven't had to tear into anything for at least two weeks.

Shot of the GR in the wild.

Comment

Great pic oldrookie. I am inspired and bummed at the same time. I have the cast wheels though but other than that, the same bike. Still trudging away but I may have to take it to a machine shop. Having trouble getting a bit to "bite", if you know what I mean. But will update when there's any progress.
                        sigpic

Comment

Sometimes there is no substitute for a good machine shop. Can get done in a few minutes what might take hours, or days, of frustration to accomplish on your own.

I think I'd do it rather than risk further damage to the bike or motivation

Comment

Hi Bill, I'm with oldrookie, either a large drill press or vertical mill would really make quick work of the offending bolt with little risk of any damage. Good luck with it, Ray
                            "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
                            GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
                            1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
                            1979 GS1000SN The new hope
                            1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Thanks oldrookie and ghostgs1. I have a drill press (table top model) but don't see any way that I can fit it underneath with enough room to do the job. I did buy a few different drill bits yesterday and will try that first. Who knows?...maybe the Suzuki Gods will have pity on me and one will work. Will update later.
                              sigpic

Comment

What are these bolts made of?
                                Stephen.
                                1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                                GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...