X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help! Broken oil pump gear and bent part

1981 GS250

Hi All,

I just pulled/re-installed the clutch to get to a bent clutch push rod prior. Afterward the engine had a tough time starting and made a funny noise from the right crank case. I tried to follow the manual but obviously I screwed up something. When I opened it I found a small piece of the oil pump gear broken. I read a lot of the forums on the topic, and from what I read I should have closely checked alignment and how freely everything moved and I did not. I remember hearing a loud bang when tightening the clutch sleeve nut (I think it is) and it pushed back into place at the same time. In hindsight I think I must not have aligned the gears correctly before tightening and ended up breaking the oil pump sprocket from the pressure of the nut tightening. Does that sound reasonable? That is the only thing I can think of that seemed odd; I did not notice any broken pieces at the time but maybe it was lodged behind the clutch. Anything else I could have done that may have caused it? Anything else I should check for damage while I have everything off? I ordered a used oil pump but I would like to figure out how I caused the damage so I do not repeat the mistake. Thanks again for all the help, I really appreciate it.
    Last edited by Guest; 06-13-2012, 08:14 PM. Reason: Ordered parts and no responses. Removing parts related paragraph.

maybe you tightened the clutch down on the pump gear and broke it?
    if you dont get them to slide in each other one will set on top the other

Comment

Make sure you have all the pieces accounted for.

Check the new pump according to the manual to see how worn it is.

The clutch normally slides on all the way down without any effort.

You can reach behind and spin the pump gear while you push to get it to allign.

Check your clutch basket make sure the gear on that is ok as well.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Thanks for the replies!! Yeah, I think that must be how I broke it. The new oil pump should be coming in today. I'll make sure to inspect it. I will post once I finish today/tom, or if I get stuck installing the new pump. At least it gave me a chance to replace the intake boots and airbox seals while I waited for the pump. That was the last mini project I needed to do before riding so I am excited now! =)

Comment

Oil pump was delivered to the wrong house and my neighbor will not be home until this weekend. I decided to order some new seals for the oil pump, among other things, while I wait. Might be a week before I have everything but I will post then. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X