Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Valves adjusted...MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valves adjusted...MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS!!!!!

First, thanks to everyone that answered my questions and helped me along the way. Sometimes people say their bike runs better after an oil change, well this is different. The bike Does run better.

The valves were incredibly tight and new shims were added to get bike right In the middle of spec. The ticking noise is gone and I have 15 MPH more top speed! 6th gear has become a true highway gear where as before I would hit 6 th all the time. No more, 5 th. does the job that 6th used to be needed for around town and small country roads.

During the process of reshimming I did notice that the numbers printed on the shims were not always accurate. I would order the valve gasket before digging in next time too.

The bike runs beautifully now!

That's great news! I'm in a similar boat, just got my bike a couple weeks ago and am doing a valve adjustment soon (waiting on the valve change tool - I don't like the idea of putting things in the combustion chamber). Hopefully I see the same improvements in mine!

Just a tip - take some pictures of your bike and start a thread in the GS Owners section if you haven't already. Also, it's a good idea to put your location in your profile and the model of your bike in your signature so people don't have to ask.

Comment

Excellent news! And yes oh so true... my bike never ran this good before I rebuilt it and I'd never checked my valve clearances.

Almost time for the next service and they will be checked again

I also can't believe I missed your other thread...
      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
      X