Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Issue on 1981 Suzuki GS450

Hello all GS Owners,

I have a beautiful 1981 Suzuki GS450T, but unfortunately I'm experiencing some sort of issue with the throttle.

When I purchased this old bike, it didn't run just right, it was somewhat sluggish & weak, so I assumed that the carburetors needed to be cleaned. Come to find out, the pulser coils was the reasoning for the poor engine power. Unfortunately, before knowing the pulser coils were the problem, they blew during a test ride after the carburetors were cleaned. I replaced the blown coils with brand new OEM coils which cost me $230.00.

On top of that, new battery, new air filter, new Avon tires, new carburetor gaskets, new CDI box, ignitor box, and a kill switch was installed. Some of these parts had to be replaced because when the pulser coils blew, these parts became faulty. Plus, the mechanic had to rewire the entire bike because a previous owner messed with the wiring. The previous owner had diverted the kill switch, also bypassed the fusses, and had installed some sort of switch because of what I could only assume was a short somewhere in the system.

Now, the bike is back in my possession, and it rides great down the road, but there is just one issue left with this GS450. Unbeknown to me, the RPM's will climb to 4,000-5000 and not exceed that once the throttle is engaged. When the bike first starts, this may or may not happen, but surely will in a under minute if the throttle is engaged. Of course the RPM's come down during clutch engagement, but will climb once disengaged. The mechanic that put the parts on and the tire installation didn't know what to do about this particular issue.

To all mechanically inclined GS fans and owners, please help me with a diagnosis so I can get this bike running in tip top shape.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Guest; 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM.

I'm not getting a warm comfy feeling about the "mechanic" who did all this work. Sounds like carbs never got correctly cleaned and you probably got leaky boot o-rings. I don't see "pulsar coils" (signal generator coils ?) capable of damaging anything but themselves.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The best way around these bike is searching here for info.

These bikes are a little quirky with the electrical and the carbs can du gum up but sound to my like your mechanic is just swapping parts left and right until it runs correctly.

But explain you carburation issue to user more clearly if you can. Do you have a high idle when hot? or does the bike rev up on its own? Does the bike have a hanging idle (will keep revving after you let go of the throttle)?

How is your idle? Cold and warm..

Comment

RUN .. don't walk away from that 'mechanic'.
        then read this forum and Cliff's website , buy a digital voltmeter, learn to use it , and ride your GS probably after you properly CLEAN the insides of your carbs and replace intake o-rings.

Comment

I'd definitely be looking at an intake leak... intake O rings, intake boots... and go see a dealer to get the boots yourself and www.cycleorings.com for the O rings...
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
          X