Oil leak behind chrome cam cover!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak behind chrome cam cover!!!

OK, so aside from finding a flat tire (that has 40 miles on it!! ), I also developed an oil leak behind the rear chrome cap on the left side of the engine. I was trying to pry the cap off to sand it and paint it, but found I could not easily remove them, so I left them be. Now, it's got a pretty steady oil leak from behind this cover.
    What the hell?

probably the rubber half moons leaking...clean it good an smear silicon under the cover..will slow it down till u can pop it off an reseal them...

impact driver is a tool u must own having an old bike...

as for the tire...i have a plug in mine...a short ways from center...but my tires is worn down...ive done 80mph oh it an it holds...

call it unsafe but its not the first time ive heard of it being done

Comment

Ahhhh yes, the tire. The guy who installed it didn't put a tube in it I found, even though it says "Tube Type" right on the side. AND the valve stem leaks, AND the little nut that holds the valve stem in place is stripped. It's comforting to know I could have hit a turn hard, rolled the tire over enough to break the seal and lost all the air pressure in an instant. That would not have ended well.
      You are right about the little half moon, I pushed it out of place. I managed to pop one side of the chrome cover off and bent it around so I could see the deal. Think I can get away with smearing a glob of RTV in there, or am I going to have to pop the valve cover off?

Comment

Well I piled a bunch of black RTV in there, and I'll let it dry for a few days. We'll see what happens. It's a temporary fix, since I'll be pulling the cover off to check the valves before too long anyway.

Comment

You most likely cause the oil leak by prying on the chrome cap.

Unless you paid for a new tube it stands to reason the installer reused the old one or installed the tire tubeless like before. Not the installers responsibility I'd say.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Unless you paid for a new tube it stands to reason the installer reused the old one or installed the tire tubeless like before. Not the installers responsibility I'd say.

If the tire didn't say "Tube Type" right on the side, I'd agree. It still doesn't account for the leaky valve stem and stripped nut. If the tube or stem looked sketchy, any competent installer should have said something, since it's not something the rider is going to ever see. That's not the way I do business, and that's not how I expect others to do business. It's not a simple "whoops", it could kill someone.
            Last edited by Guest; 11-03-2012, 11:01 PM.

Comment

Don't forget the chrome end caps come off with two screws from underneath, and yes the half moons are likely brittle and need replacing. Cheap still from Boulevard or Partshark or somewhere.

All four of mine basically broke apart when I got to that point of my rebuild so new ones went in.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Sinister View Post
                If the tire didn't say "Tube Type" right on the side, I'd agree. It still doesn't account for the leaky valve stem and stripped nut. If the tube or stem looked sketchy, any competent installer should have said something, since it's not something the rider is going to ever see. That's not the way I do business, and that's not how I expect others to do business. It's not a simple "whoops", it could kill someone.

Lesson here is to learn what's going on with your bike and not blindly trust a mechanic you don't know.

Every time a new tire is installed you should install a new tube. Don't trust a tire jockey to tell you this, you need to understand things like this and insist on it yourself.

BTW, gooping up the half moon is a bad idea. It could puke out at any time and dump oil on that tire and put you on the ground.
                Last edited by Nessism; 11-04-2012, 09:41 AM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Lesson here is to learn what's going on with your bike and not blindly trust a mechanic you don't know.

Agreed. A friend of mine works at this shop, and the mechanic came well recommended, but I've learned my lesson here.

Comment

So the RTV and tire held long enough to ride it over to the local shop. He's going to put a tube in the rear, and set it all up.
                    Ordered a new set of end caps and a valve cover gasket. Anybody have any pointers on the install? It looks easy enough.

Comment

It looks easy enough.
                      It is, adjust the valves while you are in there if you haven't, or at least check them even if you have done it before. Grease the head side of the gasket so it doesn't stick, since it needs to come off once in a while..

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                        It is, adjust the valves while you are in there if you haven't, or at least check them even if you have done it before. Grease the head side of the gasket so it doesn't stick, since it needs to come off once in a while..
                        You are on the ball, my friend!!
                        I had planned on checking the valves. As it turns out, my brother in law had the exact same bike back in the day, and he was pretty impressed by the condition of mine. He told me the valves will get noisy when they're out of adjustment, and mine sounds really good. With the way it rips once I fabbed a temporary air filter, that is also encouraging. So, hopefully I'll get lucky and they won't need any adjustment. Reading the manual, that looks like an easy job, too. Guess I'd just have to leave it torn down until I get the correct shims.

Comment

So the RTV and tire held long enough to ride it over to the local shop. He's going to put a tube in the rear, and set it all up.
                          Ordered a new set of end caps and a valve cover gasket. Anybody have any pointers on the install? It looks easy enough.
                          Did you get new half-moons, too?

Put a THIN film of sealer on the curved part of the half-moons, set them in place. Use WD-40, engine oil, a THIN film of grease, whatever you want, on the valve cover gasket before installing it, it will come out SO much easier next time.

Oh, by the way, the chrome covers are best removed and/or installed when the valve cover is off the bike.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Ordered new end caps?
                            Did you order new half moons as well?
                            They sit behind the chrome pieces and under the valve gasket, half circle rubber covering unseen half circle metal.
                            Is that what you meant by end caps?
                            Recommended that they are to be replaced.
                            Just bought some while setting my valve clearance, pretty cheap for peace of mind.
                            Mine still seemed good but i replaced anyways.
                            gs850cafe posted probably half moons that are causing the leak as you have one behind each chrome cover, I would agree with that.
                            If you are going to check the valves now is the time.

Comment

Steve, you beat me again

Comment

Working...
                              X