Shifter assembly help-behind clutch basket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shifter assembly help-behind clutch basket

Hello everyone, this is my first post here on the GS forums, lots of Info!! The bike i am working on is a 77 GS 400, i picked it up with the clutch and all the shifter linkage on that side removed. I tried to reassemble per Manual but it is pretty vague about the reassembly of the linkage to the shift gear.
    When i manualy go through the gears(motor is out of bike) it appears the linkage that turns the little gear with the dowels does not engage it properly so the bike will not change gears. Can anyone provide a pic with the proper setup or some helpfull hints to get it working properly??

Thanks, Mark in Minnesota

it would be helpful if you could show us a pic so we can see what could be the problem
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Its working

got it working, shift shaft was shifted over to far, got it back in position and all is good.

Comment

we all need to wonder why it was apart to begin with???

Comment

not sure

I think the previous owner was going to split the cases, all the bolts were out but he never got around to splitting them. Got the motor in 3 boxes, just got the valves redone, boring out cylinders to accept some bigger slugs.

Comment

I second the "why was it apart to begin with"

What was the PO looking to fix the case?
            Stephen.
            1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

No, he just wanted to split them and check everything out. bike was working fine, only 18 thousand miles on it.

Comment

Originally posted by bogmonster View Post
                No, he just wanted to split them and check everything out. bike was working fine, only 18 thousand miles on it.
                That's a LOT of unneeded work....unless there was/is an internal problem.

It is just another example of the previous owner who had no idea what was going on.

I hope the bike runs well and shifts great for ya!!

Comment

Working...
                X