still trying to get 450l to start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still trying to get 450l to start.

I was on here few months ago seeking some help with my 1983 450L, it won't start and most everybody said it was cause I put pods on and had straight pipes. Well I put some restrictive mufflers on and taped up pods (have no airbox) and all I get is backfiring after cranking on it for while, I have spark at plugs. I am new to this kind of bike but I have good knowledge of bikes in general. I do have a old clymers service manual and have tried test's on igniter and signal generator. Nothing definite there. Is it possible for it to jump time in cam chain area? Im trying to keep this low budget for now until I see if I can get this thing to start. Because I do have spark at plugs, but don't know if firing at right time. Just looking for other things to check before I try getting different parts (igniter/signal gen.)to try and get this thing started. Any help is appreciated.

Pods and a pipe have absolutely nothing to do with starting. They only come into effect when you come off the idle circuit into the needle and the main jet. You need to look elsewhere.
    If it is backfiring, you need to remove your valve cover and check the timing of the cams.

Comment

Thanks koolaide kid, I will give it a look insde. I'm going to assume there is is some timing marks. Im not familiar with cam chains and such, with my old harley I had it had gear to gear with marks to align. Is there much to these to get them in time? I don't have bunch Of faith in this service manual I have, but it's all I got.

Comment

Lots of posts on cam to crank timing- don't be intimidated. Bike should start if you have compression, fuel and spark at about the right time- fine tuning comes later.

remove valve cover and signal generator cover- best to remove spark plugs as it will be easier to turn crankshaft to line up marks.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Did you pull off the carbs and clean them? Did you replace the 30+ year old O-rings with fresh? Did you replace the intake boot O-rings? How many turns open are the pilot screws?

Regarding the jetting, at minimum you should move the main jets up three sizes and shim the needles. This is just a starting point for rejetting.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I did go thru carbs and bought some new brass main jets cause old ones were like nylon and were wasted. I know I went up in size but now I can't remember what size old ones were.

Comment

tom203 mentioned posts for cam - crank timing. kinda new to forums, what's best way to search for them ? Didn't see anything for searches.

Comment

Willis, your Suzuki Service Manual is all you need. It shows how to align the mark on the crankshaft (under the signal generator cover on the right side of the engine) with the marks on each of the camshafts. It is very simple to check and critical to set correctly.

Comment

Here's a dumb question, when the "R T" mark is at the mark on the case isn't the right cyl. piston suppose to be a the top of it's travel? I know there is two times the right side piston is up to the top of its travel, but when I bring No.2 up the mark is behind getting to where it's supposed to be. The exhaust and intake cams are correct as far as 18 pins between 2 arrow and 3 arrow. I'm just trying to eliminate timing as one of reasons I can't get this thing to start.

Comment

This is what you need to check:
                    Rotate crank clockwise until the "T" is aligned with the fixed pointer.
                    On the exhaust cam, the "1" should be pointing forward, parallel to the gasket face
                    The "2" should be pointing directly upward
                    On the exhaust cam, the "3" should be pointed at the 18th pin from the "2", and slightly forward.
                    If all this is correct, your cams are O.K.

Comment

Thanks, I'm going back out to garage to check it.

Comment

Hey koolaide kid I just checked cams and when they are both positioned like you said the rotor with timing marks on it is coming around behind where it should be. There is the right amount of pins between 2 and 3 and 1 is pointing forward level with case. What it appears to me is for some reason the rotor is out of time. Is it possible for me to loosen the bolt in middle and rotate rotor to correct mark on case? It seems like signal generator would be sparking at wrong time. I might be way off on my way of thinking.

Comment

Get the "T" mark on crankshaft lined up with pointer, THEN look at camshaft mark #1- if it ain't facing forward and parallel with gasket face, your camshafts are off. Take a pic and post to avoid confusion.
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Your camshafts are out of time. Do as Tom directed and you will know how much they are out of time. I suspect just one tooth or you would have put some valves on the pistons, which would not allow it to turn over at all.

Comment

Thanks to both of you for advice. I bought this bike at a yardsale for a project, so I have no idea how long it's been since running. From what I can see chain and sprokets look fine, what could cause them to get out of time? Am I able to loosen chain and rotate cams where they need to be? I'll go try and take some photos, is it a big deal to post them? Sorry about all the questions.

Comment

Working...
                              X