No announcement yet.

Diagnosis help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

those two different bowls have me puzzled. maybe someone bought parts and they were different ones or the bowls aren't for that year or somethin or nother!!!##%^

maybe search/look on ebay and find a pic of a bowl and see whats going on???

i think the bowls for th 450 automatic are different because of the one side has an accelerator pump? maybe someone has done some bad parts replacing...

Comment

ok here a pic on EBAY auction for PRE 83 GS450 carbs and it looks like you have one of those float bowls instead of the correct, GS400 bowl!!!

There aren't currently any auctions for GS400s that i see but since yours runs on the one that has the channels, then you have the wrong other one..

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by barnbiketom View Post
          i think the bowls for th 450 automatic are different because of the one side has an accelerator pump? maybe someone has done some bad parts replacing...
          True, there is an accelerator pump, but it is external to the bowl, and the carbs are completely different.

Yep, the carbs on the 450GA could be mistaken for carbs 1&4 on a GS1000.
          They are 34mm carbs, but have what I call the "standard" configuration of float bowl and jets, not the arrangement shown there, with the jets in the bowl.

Those carbs are NOT from a 450GA.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok here a pic on EBAY auction for PRE 83 GS450 carbs and it looks like you have one of those float bowls instead of the correct, GS400 bowl!!!

There aren't currently any auctions for GS400s that i see but since yours runs on the one that has the channels, then you have the wrong other one...
            I also did some searching and came to the same conclusion. I think the GS425 bowls may be the same though. I'll have to do some more searching.

Anyone have a bowl for sale?

Comment

from the Clymer manual...it says "they are all BS34 Mikuni"...
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-12-2013, 09:02 PM.

Comment

..doesn't mention that the other bowl is different and I can't see a picture that suits your other....
                anyways, don't get confused with the GSX 400. The carbs are different.
                Last edited by Gorminrider; 01-12-2013, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I have seen this on mine before.

I know too high oil level will do it.

If one cylinder is too rich or lean it will do that too.

Or if they are way out of synch.

I cured mine with a carb rebuild and swapping pistons left to right.

Can you do a video with a low idle ?

Srart spray will wash the cylinder of oil so use it sparingly.

Do you have any pics of the botton of your carbs?
                  Last edited by Mekanix; 01-13-2013, 04:22 AM.
                  Stephen.
                  1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
                    from the Clymer manual...it says "they are all BS34 Mikuni"...
                    They may all be "BS34 Mikuni", but they are not all BS34SS Mikuni.

The carbs on the '83-and-up GS450s (which included the 450GA) had the BS34SS carbs, which look more like the ones on the 1000G and 1100G.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                      I have seen this on mine before.

I know too high oil level will do it.

If one cylinder is too rich or lean it will do that too.

Or if they are way out of synch.

I cured mine with a carb rebuild and swapping pistons left to right.

Can you do a video with a low idle ?

Srart spray will wash the cylinder of oil so use it sparingly.

Do you have any pics of the botton of your carbs?
                      I'm willing to bet if I can swap in the correct bowl, the rattling problem might disappear. Obviously the side with the wrong bowl isn't getting enough fuel and is causing an extreme lean condition. I try getting a video with lower idle.

Comment

Still fotos of a set of 1977 Suzuki GS400 carbs that were very varnished. After dipping in carb cleaner to remove the varnish I soda blasted them to remove a...

Not my video, but notice at 0:15 that both bowls have the trench.

Mekanix, you can see the bottom of the carb in the video.

Comment

it's always something easy..

you only have to find it!!!

Comment

it's always something easy..

you only have to find it!!!
                            Easier said then done, Haha!

I'm thinking it may be more time/cost effective to have a machine shop put the trench in and re-tap for the jet thread.

Comment

Originally posted by droyce View Post
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=qAbr74JR49o

Not my video, but notice at 0:15 that both bowls have the trench.

Mekanix, you can see the bottom of the carb in the video.
                              Yup I can see that. Looks like the bowl without the trenches is cutting almost everything off.
                              Stephen.
                              1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                              GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by droyce View Post
                                Easier said then done, Haha!

I'm thinking it may be more time/cost effective to have a machine shop put the trench in and re-tap for the jet thread.
                                I'd get the right part. that would be the easy and best way.

I can't see the two here in my hands to compare but

Post under the WANTED section I'm sure someone has a 400 bowl!!!!

I have TWO of em but can't part with them hahaha
                                Last edited by Guest; 01-15-2013, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X