1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

No progress yet. Its been raining all week.

I'm starting to lighten my load of extra parts.

If you guys need any of my engine parts for the Gsx400 or GS500 send me a pm.
      Stephen.
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

We finally have some sun... been cloudy/rainy/drizzly most of the week. And of course I have other plans than riding this weekend
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
          No progress yet. Its been raining all week.

I'm starting to lighten my load of extra parts.

If you guys need any of my engine parts for the Gsx400 or GS500 send me a pm.
          Could you send some kind of a list, almost sure i will need parts

Thanks

Comment

Jetting

Had the DJ stuff in there with the restrictors removed.

Seemed to run just fine the way it is although I didn't come on to it, Just cruise and under 5000.

Threw the 150's in and tried it still with no restrictors.

Noticed it didn't rev quite as quick in neutral but still seemed to run fine.

Cruise was ok but felt a little sluggish as in I had to give it a bit more fuel and then back off to get to where I wanted.

But from cruise if I slap it wide open It loads up and seems to run one cylinder, ITs not but it just Feels like that for lack of a better explanation.
            Its like trying to get on the gas and running out at the same time :P

Smooth transition works well.

I did actually get it to pull from 5-8--- really hard though with the 150's but couldn't stop to check the plugs.

I'm making a catalog of what I do and what the results are, I'll post the results.

Over on the GStwins site they recommend the stock slides and dj needles and 150 mains.

I have a feeling that its just the safe way to go.
            Stephen.
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

One thing i did notice with the way it is, There is no smooth low throttle setting.

Its either stop or go from closed throttle to starting to be open. Kind of surprising sometimes.

I think its the slides opening too quickly.

And I think I need to do a synch again.
              Stephen.
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

With CV carbs, the only thing that causes the slides to open is vacuum, which is caused by opening the butterfly valves, which are actuated by the throttle. Are you saying that it jerks open, or that it is rough off idle until the transition to the needle begins?

Comment

I've been experiencing that closed/open throttle thing too... it used to be really bad and kill my confidence in low speed manoeuvring where you have the throttle just cracked open.

Initially it was because I was so lean, but then after I got stuck into the jetting it was better but still a bit jerky.

I've kept fiddling and at the moment it feels pretty good and seems to have been the mixture screws being too rich.

sigpic

Comment

Short thread hijack
                    Hey pete, how are those new mains working out?
                    They should make your mixture screws more accurate as well.
                    thread hijack over.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                      With CV carbs, the only thing that causes the slides to open is vacuum, which is caused by opening the butterfly valves, which are actuated by the throttle. Are you saying that it jerks open, or that it is rough off idle until the transition to the needle begins?

I'm saying its like the initial 1/8 throttle feels like I went from nothing to 1/2 throttle with very little movement.
                      Stephen.
                      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                      GS twin wiki

Comment

I understand. Since you have a 450/500, which throttle are you using?

Comment

500's, all parts are from the 500.

Needed tuning,

I synched the carbs and set the idle and air screw's. Still a little high off the fumes

But i can say it seems to be related to the way it was. Still has the hickup while cruising and cracking it open but the bottom end start is smoother now.
                          Stephen.
                          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                          GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
                            Short thread hijack
                            Hey pete, how are those new mains working out?
                            They should make your mixture screws more accurate as well.
                            thread hijack over.
                            Going great George, much better with the 145's than the 150's. Haven't done another dyno comparison but that gets a little expensive when you're not doing it as part of a group run...

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                            500's, all parts are from the 500.

Needed tuning,

I synched the carbs and set the idle and air screw's. Still a little high off the fumes

But i can say it seems to be related to the way it was. Still has the hickup while cruising and cracking it open but the bottom end start is smoother now.
                            Mine's not too bad like that now, but definitely was like that when I had the 150 mains and needles on the richest setting... with the 145's, needle only raised one notch, and mixture screws leaner it's much improved. I'll be going 1/4 turn leaner again on the mixture screws to see if that makes it just that much better...

sigpic

Comment

Well, cracking it open while cruising is the transition from the needle to the main. Personally, I'd be looking in that area, like dropping the needle a notch.
                              Good to hear it, pete. Didn't happen to get 140s did you?
                              For your mains, you can do a plug chop for a rough idea of how it is doing AFA being rich or not.

Comment

Going by the dyno chart, it wasn't that rich up top, so I think anything less than 145's would be too lean... the issue really was the needle... at 5K RPM the AFR ratio was off the chart

Finding a suitable location here for a WOT plug chop is next to impossible these days... a little too much of a nanny state now and that sort of thing is likely to get your bike confiscated under our "hooning" laws...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X