Gs500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The cam part.
    I did some searching and I didn't find anything on it and I guess that's why

I'm not sure why anyone would want to rev this engine to 13 500. It must be out of steam by then. Plus the added drag of stiffer springs for street riding doesn't seem like its worth going for if you rarely see that high rpm's.

I'll have to measure the difference between th gr and gs. I'm curious now.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
      The cam part.
      I did some searching and I didn't find anything on it and I guess that's why

I'm not sure why anyone would want to rev this engine to 13 500. It must be out of steam by then. Plus the added drag of stiffer springs for street riding doesn't seem like its worth going for if you rarely see that high rpm's.

I'll have to measure the difference between th gr and gs. I'm curious now.
      The cam thread was lost years ago when the forum was hacked and they updated everything.Surprised it wasn't mentioned in another thread.I did a google advanced search on the forum and nothing came up for me either.

Some of the racers that build track bikes want the extra rpm.I've never felt the need to rev past 9000rpm when I'm out blasting mountain roads.I've been to red line on my GS a few times,there's just not enough umph past 9000rpm to go there.May with head,cam,and different carbs may make it possible to utilize the rpm range above 9000rpm.For what I do,I got plenty of power to hurt my fat @$$.

Comment

I'm about the same there Ben, with my Acewell I have no redline and I don't look at the gauges too much when I'm hooking through some nice twisties. I know I hit 10K at one point because the Acewell tells me my max but I know I shift a lot earlier than that normally...
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
          I'm about the same there Ben, with my Acewell I have no redline and I don't look at the gauges too much when I'm hooking through some nice twisties. I know I hit 10K at one point because the Acewell tells me my max but I know I shift a lot earlier than that normally...
          Yeah,no point in needless wear on parts for very little gain.

Comment

One Thing I used to like to do with my 400 is rev it up to near 7K in 3rd with very little throttle and drop it to 2nd with full throttle. Then shift at 10500 and carry on drag bike style. That engine came alive between those rev's but below that it wasn't that fun to ride.
            Last edited by Mekanix; 03-20-2013, 07:32 PM.
            Stephen.
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by ben2go View Post
              GR cams give a very insignificant increase in lift and less duration.What the GR cam provides in lift,it looses with short valve open time.Also,the GR cam is only good to 7000rpm and the GS engine is good to 11,500rpm,it can spin to 13,500 with valve spring upgrade.Above 9000rpm a GS engine starts loosing torque.IIRC,Dgyver on GST tried the GR cams in his track bike and the out come was less than bad.All this was discussed over on GST.
              Are you quoting a specific test or just what what you read on the Budahnet?
              I don't understand what you mean by "the GR cams are only good to 7000 rpm" . The GR's are a mid-range cam and they're designed and degreed for a motor that has lot longer stroke. The whole idea of twin cams is having the luxury being able dial the power to where you want it.
              If your going to TRY to ride the GS at 11,500 and 13,500 you'll at least need to re-degree the cams. And if that's where your going to ride it you'll also need a big pile of cranks. 'Cause it's going to break on the right rod journal closest to the clutch side.
              Tachs have a red line for a reason. My 612 motor(83mm pistons)will for sure rev past red line but if I did, I wouldn't have 3 racing seasons on the crank.

Comment

That's why I have a DRL200 rev limiter for this one and a 2 stage DRL-400 for the Frankintwin

What I want is a nice smooth powerband for cruising but to also have lots of reserve for having fun. Something lower than the 7-11 that I'm used to would be great.

Here is the difference between the cams for lift.
                the GR intake is 0.589"
                The GS intake is 0.582"
                Difference of + 0.007"

The GR center is at 98 IN and 99 EX
                The GS center is at IN and EX
                Last edited by Mekanix; 03-20-2013, 10:57 PM.
                Stephen.
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by wera90ex View Post
                  Are you quoting a specific test or just what what you read on the Budahnet?
                  I don't understand what you mean by "the GR cams are only good to 7000 rpm" . The GR's are a mid-range cam and they're designed and degreed for a motor that has lot longer stroke. The whole idea of twin cams is having the luxury being able dial the power to where you want it.
                  If your going to TRY to ride the GS at 11,500 and 13,500 you'll at least need to re-degree the cams. And if that's where your going to ride it you'll also need a big pile of cranks. 'Cause it's going to break on the right rod journal closest to the clutch side.
                  Tachs have a red line for a reason. My 612 motor(83mm pistons)will for sure rev past red line but if I did, I wouldn't have 3 racing seasons on the crank.
                  The cam deal was covered a few years back on GST forum.Then the forum under went changes and the thread was lost.The deal there was the GR cams were designed for an engine with a lower redline and lower operating rpm range.The racers were discussing running a certain aftermarket valve spring to be able to reach the 13,500 redline.I don't remember all the specs quoted in the forum post because I am not a racer.I'm going off what I can recall.It was interesting read.I don't take my bikes to redline.It's pointless for my type of riding.I just wanna stay in the torque range to pull the mountain curves around here.

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                    One Thing I used to like to do with my 400 is rev it up to near 7K in 3rd with very little throttle and drop it to 2nd with full throttle. Then shift at 10500 and carry on drag bike style. That engine came alive between those rev's but below that it wasn't that fun to ride.
                    But was that the 8 valve motor? I find the 4 valve 450 is strongest from around 5K to probably 8K or maybe a bit higher... especially now that I have my needles in a better position.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                      But was that the 8 valve motor? I find the 4 valve 450 is strongest from around 5K to probably 8K or maybe a bit higher... especially now that I have my needles in a better position.
                      Yeah it was pete, The powerband only started at 7k. Below that it was enough just to get around. At 5-6 was when it vibrated the most, so I was always above or below it.
                      Stephen.
                      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                      GS twin wiki

Comment

Ok cool, I figured the 8 valves would have their power higher up in the range...

sigpic

Comment

Its actually a "motor-cycle" again :P

I had to use the rear guide from an 8 valve engine because the original one was cracked and worn sideways.
                          Last edited by Mekanix; 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM.
                          Stephen.
                          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                          GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by wera90ex View Post
                            My 612 motor(83mm pistons)will for sure rev past red line but if I did, I wouldn't have 3 racing seasons on the crank.

What did you use for parts ?
                            Piston's
                            Sleeves
                            Block...
                            Last edited by Mekanix; 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM.
                            Stephen.
                            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                            GS twin wiki

Comment

Just bought a DynoJet kit and K&N RU2970 filter. Apparently this is a worthwhile upgrade and I don't have to use the clunky airbox

Only thing I have to find now is a good pipe.

The one that came on it was an aftermarket pipe of some kind. Not sure what make it was because It was painted an beat up. Id like to find a nice V&H whole system.
                              Stephen.
                              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                              GS twin wiki

Comment

Mate she's lookin' good! Nice to get it where it looks like a real bike again

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X