1982 gs(x)400e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982 gs(x)400e

My 1982 GS400E (canadian model) needs a new clutch as the old one is slipping pretty bad up hill sand under brisk acceleration. I'd like to avoid the dealer as they usually charge ridiculous amounts for parts but as its a canadian model its not listed anywhere online. I was wondering if there was a US model that used the same clutch that I could buy instead.

-thanks
    Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2013, 09:59 PM.

Almost all the bases for the 400,450 and 500's are the same except for a few small details.

1980-1988 gs400x or gs450 or any gs500 has the same clutch and discs and plates. Actually the one for the 500 is an upgrade because it has lightening holes and and its drilled for oil flow.

New springs would be the best bet. Either buy new or get a set of stiffer springs. If you do get stiffer springs, you only need to use have the springs to get what you want.

Here's a site you can use to compare the part numbers

✓ Official Suzuki parts list ✓ Easy repairs with OEM diagrams ✓ Free acccess to parts fiches for Suzuki GSX400E 1981 (X) (E02 E04 E16 E22 E24 E26)
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Thanks for the info, just so I'm clear your saying that a clutch from any Suzuki twin from 400-500cc's and between 1980 and 1988 will fit my bike?

Also, in regards to the springs, you think that all I need to do is get stiffer springs and I won't need new clutch plates?

Comment

The original springs get weak over time and usually are the cause of a slipping clutch.
        Otherwise you have to measure your plates and discs and see if they are still in spec or not.

From what I've seen there wasn't any changes from the base since 1980.

Only things like the top end were radically changed.

Besides that from 1980 to 88 they upgraded a few little things. When the 500 cam out it only had a different shift drum ( lever was facing backwards so its reversed) The clutch was drilled and the pushrod was a two piece unit that saved the oil seal from wearing out.

There's little things and are improved over the Years.

Take a look at the parts manual for the 400-450's on basclifs site.

I think it was the haynes that has an upgrade section in the back that goes into more detail on what they improved over the years.

I'd say you could use any clutch parts from any year.

1989 gs500

1981 gs400

Same part number for both driven plates and same part numbers for the drive plates.

So for sure from 1980 to 1989 your good to go.

I'd almost be certain that even up to 2006 would work.

Actually, Same part numbers

Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

cool, thanks for the info.

Comment

If you run into a bind getting parts for this bike let me know I have two good motors for these waiting to be hacked into.

Comment

cmsnl.com will have what you need, BUT the GSX400EZ is probably what you want, not the EX or ET (assuming yours is the 82+ model)

Comment

CMSNL is a great resource got a bunch of parts from them for my GSX400 rebuild. But before ordering check get the part numbers and check with your local susuki place most of these parts have so many applications that you can still get a vast majority of it direct from susuki dealers Call around though some places have a huge mark up. one place I called had a difference of 2-5 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by GS(X)400 View Post
                  CMSNL is a great resource got a bunch of parts from them for my GSX400 rebuild. But before ordering check get the part numbers and check with your local susuki place most of these parts have so many applications that you can still get a vast majority of it direct from susuki dealers Call around though some places have a huge mark up. one place I called had a difference of 2-5 bucks.
                  Yup, this is very true. Maybe not so shocking, but my Suzuki dealership actually had fork seals for my GS400E, and would have even ordered me some dust seals if it needed them.

Comment

were in ontario are you from?

Comment

hey, good to see more folks from Ontario.

As a heads up, I've gotten great service from the parts guys and gals at Sturgess Cycle.

One option on the springs, if you cannot find parts springs is a range of sizes, materials and stiffnesses can be purchaced from most industrial suppliers.

Comment

I'm from Hamilton myself, and I must say Sturgess Cycle has indeed given me great service. They don't actually have the parts catalogue for the gs400e (as you can check online), but after posting in gtamotorcycle, they messaged me and we discussed using cmsnl as a parts catalogue, and ordering whatever necessary.

I suppose this specifically doesn't help the OP, being on the other side of the country, but of course the moral is always go to your dealer first if you can.

Comment

Working...
                        X