450 rotor removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

450 rotor removal?

My starter clutch seems to have some issues. I'm attempting to pull the rotor off the crank but haven't had any success so far.
    I've tried heat and a small, I think ~5lb slide hammer so far.
    Any tips or tricks?
    83 450E

Don't use any impact near the magnets, they shatter easily.

Get a steel dowel that fits into the crank without damaging the crank bolt threads.

Use a 14 mm x 1.5 high grade bolt and screw it into the rotor so it pushes on the dowel and pulls the rotor away from the crank. Then with two wrenches, 22mm on the rotor and what ever you find on the bolt, tighten it down and then wack the bolt with a hammer. Tighten again and repeat. That works and it usually pops off and goes flying, or at least the rollers and springs do :P
    A little heat helps but still stay away from the magnets!

Do not just use the bolt without a dowel. IT will ruin the threads on the crank and the bolt and when you take the bolt out of the rotor it will ruin the threads in the rotor. Its best to cut the bolt off and run it thew the same way at that point. Either way don't go down that road.

The special tool is just a a bolt with a dowel on the end.
    Last edited by Mekanix; 03-19-2013, 12:48 AM.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Perfect! Sounds reasonable. I figured the 20+lb slide was a bad idea. I'll attempt this after work tomorrow and keep an eye out for projectiles.

Comment

How many sets of magnets do you have ?

3 or 6 ?

The rotor with 6 sets has a tendency to crack magnets.

The ones with 3 sets tend to be better.
        Stephen.
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Yeah what he said... I improvised with the swingarm axle and a sledgehammer head... I eventually got it off after nearly severing a decent chunk of my thumb, so the bolt/dowel method is definitely preferable!
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Everything came off as planned, the starter clutch works fine and everything is as it should be.
            Maybe my starter is spinning backwards? When the rear cap of the started is removed should the brushes be clearly visible?

Comment

Looking at the gears of the starter, they should go counter clockwise when you hit the starter button. Then the connector gear turns clockwise, which in turn engages then starter clutch to the crank which will turn counter clockwise and thus start the bike..
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I cant think of any reason the starter would be going backwards. Does the starter clutch grab ahold of the crank as youn turn it to the left by hand..it should. If not there is a problem there.
                MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Deja Vue. Ended up being the wires going to the engine ground and the starter being reversed. Also, If you install your battery backwards, Everything will still work. Except it fries ignitors and RR's. But the lights will seem normal because they don't care about polarity and the starter will spin backwards.

The starter spins in the same direction as the engine does normally in order to crank it over.

You can pull the rear off of the starter but while you do that push on the splines with something and keep pushing the rotor all the way out of the casing with the back.

They are a pain to put back together so the less you have to, the better.

I have gone through this in length with one member and although, I have done it and it is possible to assemble a starter to turn backwards. I doubt this is the case because the whole thing doesn't go together quite right when its reversed internally. It was only a matter of rotating the plate 90 degrees to make it reverse direction.
                  Last edited by Mekanix; 03-20-2013, 10:19 PM.
                  Stephen.
                  1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                  Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                  GS twin wiki

Comment

The starter was assembled to turn backwards. How, I have no idea to think or explain why.
                    I just spent too much time with gasoline in my garage
                    I noticed a tab pressed into the starter that kept the brush holder and rear starter cap in place
                    what bam thank you ma'am
                    she turns over and with help of my mouth-pressurized fuel line fired up.
                    I'll be posting a bit across the next few days since I have to manually pressurize the fuel line to get it to fire I'm thinking the carbs may need a clean or might actually need a fuel tank.

Thank you guys!

Comment

Cool. See it is possible ;-p

Definitly get into the carbs. Do a proper strip and dip and you will have much less headaches later on.
                      Stephen.
                      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                      GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
                      X