Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Shifting Shaft (If I need to replace it)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Shifting Shaft (If I need to replace it)

Hi

hasn't happened yet...but.

I am putting new rearsets on my GS750 1977.

what I am worried about is me stripping the teeth on the Gear Shift Shaft with my incredible skill set.

Does anyone know if it is difficult to replace this if I wreck it?
    Item 18 in the picture below

you will not strip the teeth on the shaft!!!! undo the clamp bolt on the lever and take it right out. the lever will just slide off the shaft. it may be a bit tight but it will just slide off,
    i have never heard of anyone stripping or damaging these teeth by simply removing the gear shift linkage.....
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      you will not strip the teeth on the shaft!!!! undo the clamp bolt on the lever and take it right out. the lever will just slide off the shaft. it may be a bit tight but it will just slide off,
      i have never heard of anyone stripping or damaging these teeth by simply removing the gear shift linkage.....
      apologies should have been clearer in my explanation.

I have removed the existing selector and put a new selector on. It fits ok but I am worried about stripping the teeth with the new one

Comment

Originally posted by Indyjoel View Post
        apologies should have been clearer in my explanation.

I have removed the existing selector and put a new selector on. It fits ok but I am worried about stripping the teeth with the new one
        you are still not being clear?? what teeth are you worried about and why??????
        is fitting the new lever on the shaft your concern?
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
          you are still not being clear?? what teeth are you worried about and why??????
          is fitting the new lever on the shaft your concern?
          Let me start again.

I have this currently on the GS750 (picture 1)

I have removed the current shifter and foot pedal.
          I am planning on putting a replacement shifter (attached with new linkages) and pedal on (much further back). Something like Picture 2

Comment

ok, you will not damage the splines. as i said in earlier post undo and remove pinch bolt fully and the lever will slide off the splined shaft. refit new lever (on the rear sets) insert pinch bolt and tighten.
            all you have to make sure is that the spline on the new lever is the same as on the shaft. you will easily know because if it is the wrong spline it simply will not slide onto the shaft
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Working...
            X