tachometer drive gear is boken

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tachometer drive gear is boken

I have a 81 GS 450 L. The tip of the tachometer drive gear broke. Casn u just pull it out after the cable comes out? Or is there more to it?

yes it should pull out from the head, not sure on the 450's but there is a little tab locator with a small bolt that locks it on to the head, remove the bolt and tab and the tach drive should pull out. although it may be a bit tight..........
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

My sons 81 GS 450 L has the same problem.It is a simple fix BUT this will be the 3rd time replace in 2 mos.

Comment

The whole assembly just pulls out.

I'm having a problem here as well. The tach gear looks fine but isn't spinning when the bike is running.

Any ideas?

Comment

The whole drive will come out. You can convince it out gently with a flathead screwdriver. I had to do this on my 650.

There is threading on the tach drive, as well as corresponding threading on your exhaust-side cam. Provided the threads on your drive is good, if your tach is not spinning on the engine side, there's a possibility the threads on the cam have stripped. Only way to know is to pop the valve cover and have a look.

Word of caution. Don't over-tighten the screw when reinstalling the locator tab. It's easy to do as the screw threads right through and does not stop. I did it. It sucked.
          1982 Suzuki GS650G - "Blackbird"
          sigpic
          Progressive Fork Springs; Gas piggyback shocks; Electrosport Stator; Dyna 3 Ohm Coils; Shindengen SH775 Series Regulator/Rectifier; Avon Road-Rider Tires; Salty Monk Front Brake Mod [CBR Aftermarket Rotors, Concours Calipers / Master Cylinder]; Steel brake lines
          [Much Love to my wrenching Jedis: TheCafeKid, Steve, Dogma; without you, Bird's awesomeness would remain unrealized.]
          http://i1135.photobucket.com/albums/...psef4f3ca6.jpg

Comment

Working...
          X