Gr650

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gr650

Hey all, I have been having some issues with my gr650. I am fouling the left plug pretty much daily (couple hours of riding max). I am starting to think it is an electrical issue for a few reasons. The carbs have been looked through by a fairly reputable guy in my area, The petcock isn't leaking and it is getting an even 140 psi across both cylinders. I have cleaned the air filter. I would like to try replacing the wiring that runs from the coils to the plugs, however I dont think they even detach. The coils themselves look fine, no corrosion on the mounts. If anyone has any experience with this bike or has any suggestions they would be much appreciated. Thanks

What kind of fouling?

oil?
    soot?
    soaked?

Its either running rich, burning oil or not running.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

Just soot, I really don't think its burning oil. No smoke out the exhaust and the level doesn't change. Both cylinders run fine up until the left plug fouls at which point it stops firing altogether and starting becomes harder, though still possible on the one. The left pilot screw seems to be set considerably higher, I think that means its letting more air in. I could be wrong I am pretty new to this.

Should I be looking into the electrical side of things? Thanks for the reply

Comment

Its still a carb issue.

Clean and reset the carbs and then synchronize them.

That screw lets in more fuel. Reset them both at 1 turn out and set them for the highest idle possible and them turn down the idle and keep doing that. They should be pretty clos to equal. If they are still way out then try synchronizing them again. Then look at setting the float level.

Somehow its getting extra fuel. Maybe even the choke on that carb is stuck open a bit.
        Stephen.
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Ok Ill do that tomorrow morning when I have some light. Any reason why you think I can rule out electrical? The wires coming from the coils look like they have seen better days.

Comment

If it wasnt firing you would notice that. But it will run rich just fine for a while.
            If it was electrical I would expect more missing even with new plugs.
            Stephen.
            1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
            Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
            GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
            X