need new valve shims, not sure what size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need new valve shims, not sure what size

Hello gs gurus, I am working on a gs450, tried to fire it up this last weekend, no go, so I started with the usual, spark, fuel, etc. Opened up the top to check timing and valves, timing is spot on, exhaust valves are spot on, intake are another story, the right side is at .016 and the left is .018. Need to be .001-.003 according to what I've read. The shims are both 2.60 and I need to know what shims to get to make the clearances correct. Any help would be great. Thanks ahead of time.

You did not state your units of measure, but it appears that you are using INCHES.

Each shim size will change your clearance by about 0.002", so it appears that you will need to change 8 and 9 shim sizes.
    The problem is, that will put you out at the maximum size shims. Either there is a problem with your measurement or a problem with the valves themselves, because that situation is virtually unheard of.

Read the invitation in my sig.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What Steve says is true, are you sure you didn't get the mm/inches confused? Sounds like the intake numbers may be mm? I would think the engine would be able to start if you had those clearances in inches, but the intakes would be noisy. Ray
      "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
      GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
      1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
      1979 GS1000SN The new hope
      1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

Working...
      X