Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Yet Another) Clutch Pushrod Oil Seal - GS250T

Hello,

I'm working up the courage to attack my leaking clutch pushrod oil seal on my 1980 GS250T. I've been doing a lot of reading, and see that it's a common job, but I still have a few questions.

My pushrod assembly is the "old-style": the seal has a lip holding it in place, the bracket holding the oil seal is the old style, and the pushrod is one-piece. It looks like I have bosses for where the new style bracket would attach, but no threaded holes.

I tentatively plan to replace with the new style oil seal, but leave the old style pushrod. More or less, to do what was done here, although my current seal does not have an aluminum outer ring the way the one in that thread does. My questions are:

1) How does the pushrod come out? Can I just pull it out from the left side of the bike where the oil seal is? Do I just slide it back in later?

2) I know that the new-style oil seal comes out without splitting the cases, but is this true of the old-style (lipped) oil seal? Do I just attack it (with self-tapping screws) until it comes out in pieces?

3) Is there any way I can install a new old-style oil seal without splitting the cases (so I don't have to drill and tap the bosses for the new-style bracket)?

Thanks!

Not 100% sure but... I'm fairly certain to use the new non-flange type seal you need the new holder or oil pressure will make the seal come out.

If you have the one piece pushrod, it may need to go out the clutch side, although I'm not sure on that... I've only seen the two piece one personally.

You should be able to remove the old seal as you say, have read of several people doing it that way.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
      Not 100% sure but... I'm fairly certain to use the new non-flange type seal you need the new holder or oil pressure will make the seal come out.
      Yep, that makes sense. I'm still wondering though if the new-style seal (and modification to use matching bracket) is my only option.

Comment

Working...
      X