oil leaking outa transmision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oil leaking outa transmision

I recently got by 81 450t running and noticed there was oil leaking out of the cover for the transmission cover.. I took off the cover and the chain sprocket and the little metal plate behind that and was left with two little rods with black rubber ooil seals.. the foward seal had oil on the out side of it so im figureing maybe that would be wheere the oil is leaking from.. jf this is the case whats the best way to go about replacing the seals

Most times you can drive a small woodscrew into the seal from the outside and pry it out using the screw heads for leverage. Easiest method.. Dont go in too far

Sometimes you can collapse the seal driving a flat driver into the outer bore.. Not recomended for aluminum seal bores

Comment

Alright thanks.. I was gonna buy the oil seal off boulavard when I look at the ddiagram the oil seal they have it as 22-1 and 22-2 do I need 2 different ones for for the clutch or just one.

Comment

Well ive had some time to do a little more research and found out theres two xiffrent kil seals a flanged type and one with holder it says .. I could only manage to find a picture or the flanged type.. but anyone have an idea what one would be in my bike or know how I would be able to tell witch one it is

Comment

I bought the one without the flange, and got the corresponding retaining plate that holds it all together. If I'm not mistaken the flange-less seal is the late model solution to the early model problem of leaks from that seal. If you buy the one with the flange you'll have to pull the motor out and split the two halves of the case.

I haven't actually gotten around to installing mine yet because my leak isn't big enough to worry me (2-3 oz per 100 miles), but when things start to cool down around here it's on my list.

Once you get all the parts post pictures of your fix so we can see how it goes.

mike

Comment

Working...
          X