Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch cable replacement

After my attempt at a clutch cable repair found Here:

Place your 2 cylinder GS engine, drivetrain or clutch related questions in this forum.

I've decided it's time to just replace the whole unit. In light of my lower bars, i'm hunting around for an OEM replacement that's shorter than the factory GS450L cable. I've searched around the forum a bit and found a few options including the custom made cable route, but that seems expensive and unnecessary. The alternative i've arrived at is to use a cable from one of the parallel twins of more recent vintage, specifically the 500 with lower bars.

if there's anyone out there that would be willing to measure the clutch cable on their GS500 and report back i would really appreciate it. I figure that my factory bars necessitated about 5-6 inches more cable than i need now. I'm going to go home and pull the old one off to measure the core and sheath after work today. in the meantime any feedback you guys had would be appreciated.

PS: The repair i made has lasted 2300 miles of roughly 60-70% city and suburb driving. I'm pleased.

After pulling everything apart the measurements are as follows:

Overall length:
    49.5"

Sheath length including the little metal nibs on each end:
    43.5"

Hollow Adjustment bolt that the cable passes through on the way to the clutch actuator:
    ~1.75"

Any suggestions you all have would be most welcome. thanks!

mike

Comment

Crickets...

Comment

Originally posted by MOC View Post
        Crickets...

I don't know the length, but you might try a cable for a 450E or 450S.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

I don't know the length, but you might try a cable for a 450E or 450S.

excellent idea.

Comment

I currently have a 1980 GS450e I'm looking to get running. I put the dropped clubman bars on it as well. Did you get the GS500 cable to work on your setup? Just curious. Was searching on here and came across your post. Bought the OEM for it but it's way too long.

Comment

I went with a 450E cable OEM. it was a perfect fit. maybe could have used another inch but i rerouted it to avoid kinks and it works great. thanks all

Comment

Great Job! I'm going the clubman bars on a 1984 GS450L, what year was the OEM cable that you used that fixed your fit problem? Thanks JD

Comment

Great Job! I'm going the clubman bars on a 1984 GS450L, what year was the OEM cable that you used that fixed your fit problem? Thanks JD

Comment

Working...
                  X