Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'82 GS450L - Cylinder Head gasket replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'82 GS450L - Cylinder Head gasket replacement?

I am trying to replace the cylinder head gasket on my bike but I cannot get the cylinder head cover off after unbolting it - it's really stuck!

What can I do to get it off so I can clean it up and replace the gasket with the new one I have?

Thanks

hello my mate; have you made sure that all the bolts are out of the head; there's a 6mm bolt that goes upward into the head between the exhaust ports; I had exactly the same issue with mine; i managed to lever mine between the INLET manifold ports and the cam chain tensioner mounting on the barrels DO NOT lever at any time lever on either a gasket mating face; or any of the cooling fins once it started going it was fine and came off; there are two locating dowels that prevent the head twisting and i believe that these are probably the cause; good luck mate Robbie; Salisbury; England

Comment

I took out a total of 14 bolts, is that not right?

I have NO clue where you're trying to explain that you were able to lever it at. could you supply some sort of diagram or picture? I don't want to ruin any part of the aluminum body.

Thanks!

Comment

Here's a couple pictures you could maybe edit with microsoft paint or something to just point out or circle where you're talking about?

Unlimited space to host images, easy to use image uploader, albums, photo hosting, sharing, dynamic image resizing on web and mobile.

Thanks in advance

Comment

I just did this a few hours ago. Mine was also stuck pretty good. I wedged a flathead between the cover and head on one of the corners and tapped lightly. Do that on all 4 corners and it'll pull up eventually.

Comment

into the old gasket?

Comment

Pretty much. Not like you'll be able to reuse it.

Comment

alright I'll give that a shot when it's light out and let ya know

thanks

Comment

Hmmm cylinder head or valve cover?

Sometime in the 81 - 82 model year Suzuki changed the cylinder cover bolt pattern from 12 bolts to 15 bolts. Neither have 14 bolts...

The newer one has an extra odd bolt at the front plus two extras at the rear.

If you're talking cylinder head though, that's a different story... once you have the valve cover off, there will be 8 nuts and one bolt to remove, and the one bolt being the upside down one between the exhaust ports mentioned previously.
                  1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                  1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I'm just referring to the top cover, the valve cover.

This guy here has a video on Youtube, but skips over him getting the cover off:
                    Fixing my 1980 GS 450 L . It has been leaking oil out the front of the engine since I bought it.The job went smooth and I can now park it and not worry about...

Can you maybe show me some how where the bolts are? I think I counted 13 or 14, not sure where the other one is you're referring to on the front?

Comment

Ok, so you're just talking the valve cover then.

In that case you will either have 12 bolts or 15 bolts, but given you have an '82 it should be 15 bolts.

That's the Alpha Sports fiche of the cover, number 3 is the extra front bolt I was referring to.

You don't need to remove the breather cover (8).

Total of 5 bolts along the front, 6 bolts along the rear, and the 4 centre bolts.
                      1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                      1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Fantastic! I'll check it out tomorrow when it gets light out again

Comment

any joy

hello mate;are you winning with your gs cylinder head;

Comment

Working...
                          X