What's this bit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's this bit?

There is this sprung loaded knob of some sort on the back of the engine on my GS400. What is it and what's it used for? I've never seen such a thing on a combustion engine before. Some sort of vent or waste gate perhaps?

Cam chain tensioner.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Cool, I can tension the cam chain from this thing? How?

Comment

Originally posted by brettule View Post
        Cool, I can tension the cam chain from this thing? How?
        It is an automatic chain tensioner. No need to mess with it unless it gets gunked up and doesnt work properly.

Comment

Here is a thought, go to Bass cliffs web pages and download a genuine workshop manual and read threw it PLEASE

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
            Here is a thought, go to Bass cliffs web pages and download a genuine workshop manual and read threw it PLEASE
            Sorry mate, I've got that manual, I've got the carby overhaul powerpoint pdf and I've got the lesser haynes manual too. I didn't know the name of the part though, and I didn't think it would offend if I cut a corner and instead of reading the manual until I recognised the part I'd just post a pic and got the story straight from you guys. Am I being too much of a noob? What's the baseline with TheGSResourses.com? Be blunt with me, I don't want to **** anyone off, this site is brilliant. Can I post my lazy nooby questions with the thought that the more threads here the greater the info and the better the site, or do I need to refrain from simple questions and RTFM before I waste forum space with such inane questions?

Comment

Ask away old mate .

I'm sure Sharpy didn't mean to "get up ya" for not having a bit of a look around first (or maybe he did , you cranky old fart).

If you try the "search" bizzo and can't find what you need (I've tried a few times and it can be a bit of a challenge) , put something in your title to this effect (at least have a bit of a go though).

None of us were born with encyclopaedic GS knowledge and at some stage we all asked the "dumb" questions (I still do and probably will for a while yet) .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by brettule View Post
                Sorry mate, I've got that manual, I've got the carby overhaul powerpoint pdf and I've got the lesser haynes manual too. I didn't know the name of the part though, and I didn't think it would offend if I cut a corner and instead of reading the manual until I recognised the part I'd just post a pic and got the story straight from you guys. Am I being too much of a noob? What's the baseline with TheGSResourses.com? Be blunt with me, I don't want to **** anyone off, this site is brilliant. Can I post my lazy nooby questions with the thought that the more threads here the greater the info and the better the site, or do I need to refrain from simple questions and RTFM before I waste forum space with such inane questions?
                There are a lot of helpful folks around here but some of us get tired of people that want to be spoon fed and don't even try to help themselves. Not saying that's the case here, just something to be aware of.
                Last edited by Nessism; 10-20-2013, 09:34 AM.
                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Actually he does have to mess with it to ensure that

1...its actually set correctly
                  2..the rod is moving and not jammed

Unless he has had the bike for a while he should not take anything for granted..ever. To be sure the tensioner is set right, loosen the 13MM jam nut and turn the slotted adjuster screw in till it touches and stops on the rod. Now back the screw out 1/4 turn and tighten the jam nut.

Be sure the big spring loaded knob actually moves. If its a little stuck just grip it with pliers and give it a turn. It rotates COUNTER CLOCKWISE ( to the left ) so dont try going to the right. Once the bike is back running you can EVER SO SLIGHTLY turn the knob and should feel the tensioner rod working.

If your rebuilding the engine, then take the tensioner off and clean / rebuild it and use a new gasket when replacing it on the engine. There are tensioner rebuild tutorials around somewhere. Try clicking on the mega welcome sticky at the top of the OWNERS forum section.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                    Actually he does have to mess with it to ensure that

1...its actually set correctly
                    2..the rod is moving and not jammed

Unless he has had the bike for a while he should not take anything for granted..ever. To be sure the tensioner is set right, loosen the 13MM jam nut and turn the slotted adjuster screw in till it touches and stops on the rod. Now back the screw out 1/4 turn and tighten the jam nut.

Be sure the big spring loaded knob actually moves. If its a little stuck just grip it with pliers and give it a turn. It rotates COUNTER CLOCKWISE ( to the left ) so dont try going to the right. Once the bike is back running you can EVER SO SLIGHTLY turn the knob and should feel the tensioner rod working.

If your rebuilding the engine, then take the tensioner off and clean / rebuild it and use a new gasket when replacing it on the engine. There are tensioner rebuild tutorials around somewhere. Try clicking on the mega welcome sticky at the top of the OWNERS forum section.
                    http://www.bwringer.com/gs/camchaintens.html

Comment

Working...
                    X