Really hard clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Really hard clutch

I pulled out the old clutch cable and ran some oil through it. I also attached a drill and spun it to free it up. Seemed OK, not brilliant once done. Attached it all and I must say it's really a pain to use the clutch. It's quite heavy. Any thoughts on how I can make it softer?

Well, since that cable is not designed to be spun, you could have messed something up internally. I would recommend taking it out, cleaning it out with a cleaner/degreaser (not Water Displacement 40) something like PB Blaster or the like, and trying it dry. Then lube it (cable lube is best, but you can use a very light oil such as 3 in 1 Oil and try it again off the bike. It should slide extremely easy when off the bike. If not, it sounds like time for a new cable.

Comment

Yeah, $25 for a new cable from a local moto store. I'm happy to buy one.

Comment

Or Get a Suzuki cable for less and it will work much better.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That was the price for a Suzuki cable. I'm in Australia so I've got to pay the premium prices.

Comment

Definitely new cable time if you've lubed it and it's still stiff.

I did that with mine and the difference was night and day.
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

A PO may have put heavy springs in to stop a slipping clutch.
              Dogma
              --
              O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
              '80 GS850 GLT
              '80 GS1000 GT
              '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Put in the new cable today and there is not a vast improvement. My 900cc Honda Hornet clutch is much lighter than my GS400, easier by half.

Comment

If the new cable did not help, you need to either change the springs or ride the Honda.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Do you have the right clutch lever for the bike?
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Should be an easy pull for one finger. Pinky maybe with a new cable. Fix your clutch.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The clutch lever was bent a bit which didn't help so I bent it back into a respectable position. Riding it over the past month has eased it up a fair bit though so it's passable now.

Comment

Not sure what bike you have but if it is one where the clutch cable goes into the cover on the left side, how much crude is built up on the screw assembly ? if it is not smooth and clean it can cause a tough clutch
                          1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                          80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                          1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                          83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                          85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                          1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                          “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                          If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                          X