Mandatory adjustments after replacing clutch cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mandatory adjustments after replacing clutch cable

I just replaced my clutch cable with a shorter one to accommodate the lower bars. The Clymer manual says I need to remove the clutch adjustment covet itself and adjust the actual clutch. Issues is that the PO stripped out the two screws on the cover and I can't get it off. Since I only replaced the cable and not the clutch itself is it absolutely mandatory that iI adjust the clutch or can I just adjust the cable?

you need to get those screws out so you can adjust the cable properly. if not you could end up with a badly operating clutch, slipping or dragging.
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
      you need to get those screws out so you can adjust the cable properly. if not you could end up with a badly operating clutch, slipping or dragging.
      Thanks, will do. Seems to be ok right now just messing with the cable, but I've got nothing to base "OK" on so I'll get the big cover back off tonight and drill out the two screws on the adjustment cover. Then we'll see how well the Clymer manual can walk this newb through adjusting the clutch, haha.

Comment

it is really easy to do it properly. if the manual confuses you ask here and someone will give you a step by step guide. have a go yourself first and see how you get on.
        1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Screw it in lightly until it just barely touches. Back it out 1/4 turn. Set the locknut.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
          X