Oil leak after clutch cable change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak after clutch cable change

Due to it breaking, I had to change the clutch cable on my wife's 82 GS450TX this week. Now it's leaking a bit of oil from what would seem to be underneath that cover. What in the world would I have josteled in there to cause a leak? It never leaked before. Output shaft seal maybe? I didn't touch the sprocket so I can't imagine that would be the problem. Kinda perplexed.

Could be the oil seal the clutch rod fits in.
    09285-06011 OIL SEAL (6x34x7-10)

Comment

Interesting. Is that a difficult seal to replace? Never had to get at that one before.

Comment

Never tried it, but it should not be too difficult. Remove cover, worm gear, cable and rod. I have read that it can be removed by driving a couple of screws into the seal and pulling it out with pliers.

Comment

I know it's been awhile since I posted this but just to bring some closure to this thread, it was a clutch pushrod seal. I ended up replacing it today. Way easier job than I thought. I figured I was going to play hell getting the front sprocket off but it came off easy. Now to sell it before anything else breaks.

Comment

Thx for reporting the fix. It is always good to know that even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.
            Sorry you have to sell it, but at least you have another in the wings.

Comment

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              Sorry you have to sell it, but at least you have another in the wings.
              This bike has been a bit of Pandora's Box. Every time I touch something on this bike something else breaks. It's time for this one to go. I'll stick with my GS550. I've had far fewer problems with it.

Comment

Got a link to the Craigslist ad?

I'm looking for a nice 450.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  Got a link to the Craigslist ad?

I'm looking for a nice 450.
                  I will get you a link as soon as I have it back up. I took it off CL when it started leaking oil. I'll have it back up later today.

Comment

OK. What's the location?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
                    X