Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double-clutch shifting 2nd->Neutral->1st ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Double-clutch shifting 2nd->Neutral->1st ?

Does anybody else do this? I find myself doing this to get from 2nd to 1st to avoid some pretty nasty clunk+grind....or is it just a superstition I'm developing to mask an operator/mechanical problem?

Hmmmm I don't seem to have any issues with 2nd -> 1st... just a quick flick of the wrist to try to get the rev's to match while changing down like I do every other down change and all is good.

I down change to first at every stop ready for a quick getaway and never have any crunch/grind when doing so.
    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I don't think there is any need to double clutch a constant mesh transmission.

Comment

There is also virtually no need to shift all the way down to first while still moving.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          There is also virtually no need to shift all the way down to first while still moving.

Really? It's a routine occurrence on some of the roads I ride. I can even think of one curve where if you don't get into first, you'll probably fall over and roll down a hill. A very sharp, blind, climbing right hander that wouldn't feel out of place in WV. Sharper than most there, actually.

Whether he needs 1st or not, it should still be possible. Maybe a clutch dragging issue?
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

When I'm coming to a stop, I usually do engine braking with the gear that I'm already in, if there's plenty of room, and then pull the clutch in and use the brakes the rest of the way. I can downshift reliably from 5th all the way to 2nd with no drama at any speed. But sometimes, going to first at a decent clip will result in all manner of horrible grinding. With the clutch held fully in. Double-clutch shifting (even though I didn't know that's what it was called at the time) and blipping the throttle didn't seem to help. (This is on the 850, I don't have much saddle time on the 750 yet.)

Finally, I decided to stop being a tool and start downshifting to roughly match the gear that I was in with the speed I was going. Except that I don't drop into first until I'm almost stopped. Since doing this, I've had no troubles. And it's probably a lot safer since I can always release the clutch and go at any arbitrary point, should I need to get out of the way of something in a hurry.
            Last edited by eil; 11-19-2013, 06:52 PM.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Yeah I'm nearly stopped by the time I drop it into 1st, but I do it every time for safety reasons. I always have the bike in gear when stopped in traffic until there's at least a car or two actually stopped behind me. Until then, I'm watching them closely... as well as everything else around me...

When I'm out hitting the twisties, there are a few hairpins I travel that require 1st gear if I want to keep momentum going. If I had more torque it would be ok to stay in 2nd, but when you're chasing 1100 Katanas on a 450, RPM's are your only chance of even staying close
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                Really? It's a routine occurrence on some of the roads I ride. I can even think of one curve where if you don't get into first, you'll probably fall over and roll down a hill. A very sharp, blind, climbing right hander that wouldn't feel out of place in WV. Sharper than most there, actually.

Whether he needs 1st or not, it should still be possible. Maybe a clutch dragging issue?

I have similar too,where it's required to be ready in first without a stop...
                I hardly use the brakes and the bike is great for downshifting.

clutch-dragging...yes the comments here are indicating I'll have to look to it..certainly does spin the wheel on the centre-stand and the clutch is hard to adjust. The grabzone is right at the end of the lever, or I couldn't get into first at all at a stoplight . Plates maybe be swollen or maybe warped? I've got Rotella Synthetic in the bike now.Previous owner ran Amsoil.

I can try winding her up a lot more 2nd-1st. ...I guess the idea of "breaking it free" with a spinup in neutral doesn't make sense with this gearbox does it? It's likely just the time and a bit more deceleration while I'm doing that that makes it seem to work.
                Thanks for the comments!

Comment

Working...
                X