Wheel suggestions needed badly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheel suggestions needed badly

I replaced my stock frontend this weekend for a gsxr 750 usd when the one i got was blown and this usd was laying around.
    I`m not sure if i will use the original frontwheel or look for something else.
    i have plans to put 4.00 tires both front and rear.
    Anyone here who have done something like this?

Cheers Jorgen
    Last edited by Guest; 11-21-2013, 02:34 PM.

That looks like a nice set of forks you put on that bike. I wish I had information to offer as help.

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Floegstad, what is the diameter of your rear axle again? 17mm?

I can't help with what front wheel you can use (I would try to keep your new front axle diameter the same though....... I think GSXR axles are 20mm). But here what I can tell you about the rear:

All years GS500: 17mm axle, swirled spokes, 3.5" wide rim
      Bandit 400: 17mm axle, swirled spokes, 4" wide rim
      "Early" Katana: 17mm axle, swirled spokes, 3.5" rim
      "Later" Katana: 17mm axle, straight spokes, 4.5" rim

Hopefully that helps some......

Comment

Thanks a lot Rich, what a great help u have been for my japanese bike experiences!
        I`ll check out the mesurements right now.
        I have this guy whos butchering a 92 bandit 400. Those wheels might do the trick if i can make the ofset if needed for the chain..
        And yes Rich,it was 17mm axel in the back and 20 mm at the stock gsxr.
        I found this guy at ddt who makes hubs for gsxr frontends,but it wil cost me 350$ for the part,another 80$ in shipping (atleast) and taxes to the goverment at all purchases over 50$ and thats all to much for me to pay for classic spokes.
        Calculated at the dime home to my doorstep in norway, one fronthub: 602$ sharp....
        Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2013, 07:39 AM.

Comment

Thanx anyway Charlie!

Comment

You'll need an offset front sprocket to move the chain off the rear wheel

PBI and others make them
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

PBI and others make them
              YES PLEASE
              Thanx for the info!!
              Googled pbi,but couldnt find some decent info. Having a website adr?
              Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2013, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Floegstad,

I bought a set of forks just like those with the intention to use on my bike and finally decided to keep it stock because of the problems the wheels might cause.

I'm glad you posted this because I spent days doing research on the matter. I contacted various forum members and I can tell you that you can in fact put "almost" any wheel you want on there, however, you'll need to design spacers and rotor adapters, not to mention the loss of clearance.

Having said this, your EASIEST options is to match front and back sets. Look for a swingarm from the same year as your front forks and adapt it to work on your bike (almost a straight bolt on if i'm not mistaken) and then use the wheels and calipers from the same year. One thing you can upgrade is to 6 pot calipers on the front (from an 1000 from the same year, those are indeed a straight bolt on to the forks you have).

That's the easiest option. If, for instance, you want wire spoke wheels you'd need to fabricate what I mentioned above. Let me tell you that's gonna run in the $500 neighborhood, if you're lucky, just for the front wheel. Oh, and that's only the adapters, add the cost of wheel, rotors and tires and you get an idea of what's gonna take just to modify THE FRONT.

I don't want to deter you from doing this though! I didn't have the money or the resources to do it and I'd absolutely LOVE to see someone succeed at it.

To recap (sorry for the long rant) your safest bet would be to match front and back from the same year, using the stock rims for that year. PM me with questions or comments!

Comment

I have the complete race gsxr in parts,so i have touggt about it,but i would like to keep it as vintage as possible.
                  if you go to http://cognitomoto.com/ they have a hub to lace your stock rim if u like.
                  They cost 350$ in the us,but tvice that for me at my doorstep

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

PBI and others make them
                    BigT, I've been working on putting a 17" mag on my GS450 and just wanted to share my experience so far. A GS500 rear wheel fits directly into the swingarm but the rear sprocket needs moved in about 12mm total. Right away I considered an offset front sprocket, but after a little more searching around I found out that a Bandit 400 wheel is identical to a GS500 wheel EXCEPT it is about 8mm narrower at the hub......and from what I can tell, that 8mm is all on the cush drive side of the wheel. I'm not sure if any of this translates over to Floegstad's project, so I'm just getting it all out there.

My wheel swap project is still just that - a project. So I can't confirm everything yet.

Comment

Come on Rich,dont be shy,gimme some more knowledge!!!
                      (language of whisky.....sorry)
                      I need all the innfo i can get around this issue,and maybe some new ideas!
                      Game over for 2 day here in norway!
                      You guys are like suzuki-wikipedias........

Comment

Ha!

Here's everything I have for now: all GS500 rear wheels are identical to the early "swirled" Katana wheels. The GS500 and Bandit 400 share brake rotors, but Katana rotors are a different diameter. The brake torque arm on a GS500 has a different bend to it, bGS450 a Bandit 600 or 1200 brake arm bolts up to each end and allows a wider tire. Speaking of wide tires...... the GS450 L ran a 120/90-16 rear tire. Right now I have a 130/70-17 tire in my GS450 swingarm and it fits no problem...... I plan on running a 130/70 and see how it feels, and might try a 140/70 after that.

I'm sure there's some stuff I'm forgetting.....

Edit.....just remembered: 520 chain conversion. I haven't looked up front sprockets for the GS400 / GS425, but I have looked into them for the GS450. All years of the GS500 used a 520 chain, but the later models use a shouldered front sprocket that is ideal for a GS450. There is a 520 sprocket that fits the rear wheel, but I can't recall what model swapped over......
                        Last edited by Guest; 11-22-2013, 10:08 PM.

Comment

I`we allready bought these in 4.00x 18",so i will do 18" instead of do the swap for a 17" set at this point.
                          I laid my hands on a rm 465 rear wheel this morning and a spare rim 4"x18 gold alloys (from behind my shed...LOL)

So i hope that with this i can work something out,and if i cant iwont cry,but i will atleastgive it a try!

Comment

I sent back my 18"s tyres to day after having a look at Big Rich`s newly painted wheels at ddt!
                            I have decided to use the gsxr frontwheel,and a (96 250) RGV rear with the same looks wich are 4.00-17" if my rg collecterfriend is right.

Comment

Went to this guy wich had a bandit 400 rearwheel for sale,and the old fellą wanted 740$ for it!
                              I told him that he could kiss my bodys highest point when picking blueberrys!
                              I even offered him a complete gsxr rearend for a trade,but he refused and told me i could get 160$ in discount if we traded.... >
                              Ebay here i come (and if i find it i`ll have it in 4-7weeks

Comment

Working...
                              X