• Show
Clear All

how many chain links GSX400 ?

I found several numbers on line from 104 to 110 links
    unfortunately i trashed the original chain when i disassembled the bike
    the sprockets are original 16 front and 45 Rear

Thanks
    Eran

All things being equal (swingarm length, engine placement in the frame, etc), I would say you're safe with the same length chain as a GS450.

But fwiw, a 110 link chain only costs a couple dollars more and can be shortened to whatever length you need.

Comment

Thanks Rich, it's a good idea indeed to get the 110 links
      thanks

Comment

Yes,104 links (from the manual) on a 530 chain has worked twice for me.
        Hereabouts the chain comes in a box and you are expected to break it anyways unless a shop does it for you, so that might explain that "110" you are seeing.
        If you just want to fit it without counting, don't get "thrifty" and make it too short.

Comment

Originally posted by Gorminrider View Post
          Yes,104 links (from the manual) on a 530 chain has worked twice for me.
          Hereabouts the chain comes in a box and you are expected to break it anyways unless a shop does it for you, so that might explain that "110" you are seeing.
          If you just want to fit it without counting, don't get "thrifty" and make it too short.
          Well not for me, i ordered a 104 links chain based on the manual and guess what...it's too short.

then i started looking online and saw other numbers (108 & 110).
          i just hope the shop i got the chain from will accept it back (i cleanad all the protective goo from it),other wise i just blew 118$.

Comment

what! I went out and counted my old ones to double-check. Both are 103 plus the master link=104.

added: they are not a particularly tight fit either. In fact, when I made up the second one,for the '81 GSX400EX from a new Cheapo no-name chain, I just managed to fit 102- thence my waning per thrift above because it wasn't my smartest day.
            Last edited by Gorminrider; 12-07-2013, 08:00 PM.

Comment

You did undo the old rear wheel slack adjustment, I hope, and are not trying to fit the new chain onto the sprockets as the adjustment was with the old chain...? I have to ask.

Comment

yes i did it all the way forward.
                any way, there might be slight changes between models, mine is a European version(84)
                The guy at the shop said he will replace it for me so at the end it will be ok

Comment

huh! well, glad it'll be ok.
                  I did find 110 here at the link below for your chain, while mine ('81E)is 104 .

from there, I see that you have a 16 tooth front sprocket and 45 rear versus my 15 and 44 as they have it.
                  I've been bit by this confusion too-in fork seals, comes to mind .

Comment

Working...
                  X