Starter removal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter removal!

I just finished wiring my 82' 450 a couple days ago but ended up blowing the starter trying to start it in first gear. I have no clue how to remove the starter. I removed the two bolts mounting it in place and the screw on the backside. Any help???

Slide it towards the right and it will pop out of the casing, Its held in with an o-ring.
    Then just lift it out.
    Stephen.
    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
    GS twin wiki

Comment

So I go the bike running after cleaning out the carbs and replacing the starter motor. Thank you to those that helped. But now my bike wont move!!. Even if I have the clutch pulled in and gear in first the bike doesnt move! It shifts without the cable but doesnt move!! Can anybody help??!!?

Comment

Did you adjust the clutch? Are the brakes seized? What happens when the center stand is on a block of wood and the rear wheel is off the ground?
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Clutch is normal. I only have back brakes at the moment. I dont actually have a jack for a bike so Im not sure how I would get it on a block of wood.
          When I have it running in neutral for a while and shift to first it jerks a bit but not take off.

Comment

Did you replace or adjust the clutch or the cable?

It sounds like your cable may be stuck, or the pivot at the engine case has been moved and has made the cable too tight, resulting in the clutch not engaging.

FWIW.... front brakes should provide up to 80% of your normal braking and you should NOT ride the bike with only rear brakes.
            "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
            Winston Churchill

Comment

You should be able to do this work with the bike on centre stand only, but to raise the bike off the ground, use three pieces of wood, all same thickness, placed together lengthwise.

You would need to use a width of at least 2x6 to accommodate the centre stand, or place two pieces side by side for that area.

Having an additional piece to stand on may help, depending on your height.

Put the bike in neutral, then roll it onto the wood.

While holding the bike at vertical, and standing on the left side of the bike, put it on the centrestand by placing your left foot against the stand lever to press it down onto the wood, and simultaneously lift and pull the bike backwards to roll it onto the stand. Once the bike is on the stand, remove the other two pieces of wood.

I do not know what you have available on your bike to grasp, but you need to hold your left hand on the handlebars, mostly to keep it upright, and the right hand on whatever is on your bike that will accept the strain to lift and roll it backwards. If nothing else is available, use the passenger peg.
              "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
              Winston Churchill

Comment

[QUOTE=argonsagas;1977853]Did you replace or adjust the clutch or the cable?

It is indeed a new clutch cable. It seems to be installed correctly.

It sounds like your cable may be stuck, or the pivot at the engine case has been moved and has made the cable too tight, resulting in the clutch not engaging.

Would the clutch lever pull if it is too tight?

Comment

Excuse me the middle sentence is a quote ha

Comment

Working...
                  X