Overheating Oil in Crankcase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The whole thing.

I never feel the urge to touch the case after riding, maybe it's always this hot and it's just by coincidence that I blew a stator lead? Don't know.

I was riding with two friends, one on a 2010 Enfield (500 single) and the other on an 85(?) KZ 250 single. Neither of their bottom ends were near the temp of mine.

Oh well, I won't know anything until I get into the thing. I'll report back when I do.

Comment

I was riding hard for a brief bit. Maybe the oil just gets that hot and redlining it cooks the stator?

Comment

Originally posted by n780 View Post
        I was riding hard for a brief bit. Maybe the oil just gets that hot and redlining it cooks the stator?
        If that were the problem I would have smoked thousands of stators.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Looks like yah got a drop or two on the exhaust and it wafted up.

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
            Looks like yah got a drop or two on the exhaust and it wafted up.
            The smoke is from the black shielding around the stator and/or gear indicator leads. It was hard to capture with my phone but the smoke was coming form the wire opening and it was definitely the smell of burnt plastic.

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            If that were the problem I would have smoked thousands of stators.
            Well, damn....
            Last edited by Guest; 02-03-2014, 05:54 PM.

Comment

It is jetted for the pods, and whatever you have for an exhaust?
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                It is jetted for the pods, and whatever you have for an exhaust?
                2-into-1 exhaust. Jetting is close but still working on it. The carbs are from a 500E and I have a 400E so there's been a bit of work to get it feeling right. Likely a bit lean on the main still.

Comment

I would recommend that you do some plug chops before you roast the engine.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I would recommend you get it open and post some pics so all the speculation would end. Get those tools out pronto!
                    1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                    1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                    2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

She's parked now and I'll have to wait until the weekend to open her up. I'll report back when I do!

Comment

Okay, as much as it hurts, I owe you all an explanation...

Sometimes strange things happen, right? There was a rag. I remember it, though can't remember how long ago it was when I last used it. Pretty oily, helped me take care of messes. All good. Well:

Open up the sprocket cover and wiring is good!

But wait a minute, what's all this crud on the inside of the case that falling out?

It's a strange feeling; Joy for your bike, disappointment in yourself.

So here it is, it's all good in there

All of this because I somehow let an oily rag get caught in the chain. Thanks for seeing me through this, I'll make sure my next question is a real problem.

Comment

The surgeon who forgot and left the scalpel in the body and stitched it back up LOL don't worry, everyone has their moment of being humbled. Glad that's all it was. Hey now we know, our gs' S run even with rags in em
                          Originally posted by tkent02
                          That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
                          John 3:16

Comment

Was that a self lubing chain devise? Glad to hear that you did not toast your stator and the wiring harness..

Comment

And now its time to put it back together and do some plug chops to get that top end fattened up a bit.
                              Stephen.
                              1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                              GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
                              X