Types of Chains??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Types of Chains??

I was looking to order a chain for my 82 GS450TX. It looks like I need a 530 104 link chain. I was looking around on ebay and saw several listings that said non o-ring style chains and others that did not. What chain do I need? If there are variations or styles of chains, is some better than the rest?

Originally posted by ruler7171 View Post
    I was looking to order a chain for my 82 GS450TX. It looks like I need a 530 104 link chain. I was looking around on ebay and saw several listings that said non o-ring style chains and others that did not. What chain do I need? If there are variations or styles of chains, is some better than the rest?
    O rings are far better than no rings. X rings are better than O rings.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      O rings are far better than no rings. X rings are better than O rings.
      That's the whole story , right there .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Some are stronger and have a higher tensile strength.
        Most chains have o-rings I think. At least I have not seen any on shelves hereabouts for years.

Go to the Regina chains website and you can see their tensile strength and application charts. You do not have a super powerful engine and do not need a super expensive chain for the bike,

I had a super expensive chain and it lasted a really long time. At the end of its life it was still heavier ( due to thicker sideplates no doubt ) to my new el cheapo brand chain.

Comment

I just bought a JT x-ring from Z1 here a few weeks ago, $65+ a clip master link. It seems to be pretty decent quality, heavier than the old non-ring by a bit.

I've been running $40 non-ring chains the last 2 years and they have held up well, averaging 4k miles till it's worn out. I Figure this chain should last much longer than that.

Comment

Originally posted by RustyStuff View Post

I've been running $40 non-ring chains the last 2 years and they have held up well, averaging 4k miles till it's worn out. I Figure this chain should last much longer than that.
            Should be about 6 times as long.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

don't forget to look into getting new sprockets too.... Maybe that's how you killed the old chain. As Tkent_02 sez, 4kmiles is not very good at all, even if you mean per year.
              Last edited by Gorminrider; 02-28-2014, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Should be about 6 times as long.
                At a minimum. With a 450, I suggest a properly maintained o-ring or x-ring chain should go 40-50k miles.
                I put 15k semi-aggressive miles on my 1100E and adjusted the chain twice.

Comment

Working...
                X