Suzuki GS450 Crank Case breather?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suzuki GS450 Crank Case breather?

Hi guys. Sorry for the noob question as I am new to the beast world I have a gs450 which leaks oil out the front part of the engine and I suspect that somehow the crank case breather has been blocked which is causing this issue. I have heard that there is a crank case breather hole somewhere on top of the engine but couldn't locate it until I found a big bolt on top of the engine of that leaking bike. Here is a picture:

Is this the place where there is supposed to be a breather installed? If yes then what do I do after removing this bolt tightened up here by the previous owner?

NO, that is NOT the breather.

To locate the breather, look up at the top of the engine. Yep, right up under the fuel tank. On top of the valve cover is a T-shaped cover that has a nipple on the back side. There should be a hose running from that nipple to the top-front side of the airbox.

Part #7 in this picture:

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve! So now that I have an issue with this part, can you please tell me how do I install oil separator screens into this breather adjustment? I have to make them using a wire gauze myself so need a little guidance
      Originally posted by Steve View Post
      NO, that is NOT the breather.

To locate the breather, look up at the top of the engine. Yep, right up under the fuel tank. On top of the valve cover is a T-shaped cover that has a nipple on the back side. There should be a hose running from that nipple to the top-front side of the airbox.

Part #7 in this picture:

Comment

I have never really paid any attention to the size of the screens, but could probably measure one, if necessary.

Not sure about your 450, but my 850s have four screens. Two are above the gasket, wedged in the cover, the other two are below the gasket, wedged into the cavity in the cylinder head cover.

I don't think there is anything critical about the size of these items. The ones I have seem to be folded to size, then put into place, giving them several thicknesses of screen material for the vapors to pass through.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks again Steve for the response. The problem here is that before I fit these handmade screens, there was only minimal oil leak from the breather hose after long trips however after fitting the screens, the front part of the bike leaks oil like a fountain gone mad. Here you can see this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xlnnl2h8m2...302_202542.jpg
          https://www.dropbox.com/s/idojzt4hsf...302_202528.jpg

I just replaced her gaskets and don't think that there could be a gasket leak this early without the breather getting blocked.

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          I have never really paid any attention to the size of the screens, but could probably measure one, if necessary.

Not sure about your 450, but my 850s have four screens. Two are above the gasket, wedged in the cover, the other two are below the gasket, wedged into the cavity in the cylinder head cover.

I don't think there is anything critical about the size of these items. The ones I have seem to be folded to size, then put into place, giving them several thicknesses of screen material for the vapors to pass through.

Comment

Even if there is a blocked crank case breather (which doesn't sound likely), fixing it would not solve a leak that large.

When you replaced the gaskets, did you use Suzuki gaskets or aftermarket ones? The aftermarket gaskets are poor quality and are known to leak.

Try cleaning up the engine and running it for a bit to see if you can figure out where it's leaking from. I'm sorry to say this, but it sounds like you will be replacing the gaskets again.
            Charles
            --
            1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

I fixed it. The problem turned out to be a cracked head cover. The cover was leaking oil down the front end of the engine which was dripping down along the exhausts all the way back with air pressure and pooling in the exhaust mufflers. I got the cover welded and slapped it back together with a new gasket with added silicon sealant and now that bike is running fine again. And yes there was no problem with the breather so rightly pointed out! Thanks a lot for the help

Originally posted by eil View Post
              Even if there is a blocked crank case breather (which doesn't sound likely), fixing it would not solve a leak that large.

When you replaced the gaskets, did you use Suzuki gaskets or aftermarket ones? The aftermarket gaskets are poor quality and are known to leak.

Try cleaning up the engine and running it for a bit to see if you can figure out where it's leaking from. I'm sorry to say this, but it sounds like you will be replacing the gaskets again.

Comment

Great, happy to hear you got it fixed!
                Charles
                --
                1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

Sorry to hijack the post

I just got some OEM Suzuki gaskets in for my GS450. Are they sufficient on their own or do you add any type of sealant?

Comment

Originally posted by ruler7171 View Post
                    I just got some OEM Suzuki gaskets in for my GS450. Are they sufficient on their own or do you add any type of sealant?
                    I normally use silicon sealant with gaskets. It forms a rubber like texture when it dries up, making sure there is a good seal every time.

Comment

Working...
                    X