Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think I blew up my transmission

Bad, bad news.

Yesterday after doing a carb adjustment I went out for a ride to see how she was running. Every once and a while I thought I heard a sound, almost like a the faint sound of a wrench tapping metal. This would be when I was moving and whenever I would listen at idle I wouldn't hear anything. I wasn't sure if there was anything at all going on.

Well, on my way home I'm turning right on a green light. Downshift to from third to second and accelerate through the corner. But, as I do that, a terrible sounding whine and grind noise happens. I'm still cornering so I pull in the clutch and pull over but by the time I do that the bike has stalled out.

The one saving grace is that I'm a few blocks uphilll from my house that I coast to with the bike off and in neutral.

I get home and check the oil. Good.
    Reluctantly start it in neutral. Good.
    Not moving, shift down into first. Maybe a bit clunky, but good.
    Shift into second, instantly dies.

So, second gear both times. How dead is this bike now?

If second is blown the clutch still should separate the crank from the transmission when the clutch lever is pulled.
    I'd check the clutch cable first and then look at the clutch.
    Before splitting the cases I'd also check the starter clutch if the clutch checks out.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I second the vote to check the clutch basket first. It may be that your basket has broken or some plates have. If 2nd or any other gear was to go out the bike will still run fine in neutral or with the clutch pulled, IF your clutch is working.

Comment

I take your hope gladly. I'll open up the clutch and see how it looks.

Comment

With the bike off can you shift through all gears?

With the clutch in can you move the rear tire without moving the engine

If you went to second and held the shifter in the up position does it work at all?

I'm wondering if the shift star might have come loose or the roller poped off and what's happening is that your jumping between two gears and actually hitting second and third at the same time.

In the lower gears you can hit two gears at the same time but not as easily in higher gears, you would actually find neutral's in the higher gears.

It could be a shift fork that has broken or bent just enough and that one might be the one that is giving you first gear but can't move the gear far enough when you want to go to second so you have first and second clashing at the same time.

Here is a photo of the inside of the trany.

Last edited by Mekanix; 04-05-2014, 07:36 PM.
          Stephen.
          1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
          1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
          Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
          GS twin wiki

Comment

Working...
          X