• Show
Clear All

sump

Hi all, I have managed to damage the thread of the sump plug on my
    1982 GSX 400 T. Is it possible to have a helicoil inserted to sort this
    problem or is it new sump time? I will pull the sump pan off tonight
    to have a good look.

Thanks in advance.

You can put in a helicoil; check your local parts house. I believe it's a 14mm if I remember correctly but obviously please check it first.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

A few options for this one.
      heli coil is the easiest.
      There are some coarse self taping plugs for automotive oil pans as well.

Something I've seen people do is after the problem is fixed, they drill a hole in one corner of the bolt and on one of the fin's and lockwire the bolt so it can't back out but they also don't torque it down that hard anymore.
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Oversize drain bolt with self tapping threads. Simple repair if you can find the right bolt.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

There's another idea I like.

Take the plug out, drill and tap a hole up the center of it. Drill straight. Put a bolt in the hole. This is your new drain plug. Use a crush washer to seal it. You may have to cut a channel in the old plug so the oil all comes out if it goes up into the oil pan too far. Not sure if it does on a 450. Put the old plug in with JB Weld, it ain't coming out. Ever.

You now have steel plug on steel threads, it won't strip out again. It may take a few seconds longer to drain the oil, no big deal.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

M14x1.25 I do believe is the threads on the drain plug. I used a spark plug thread repair kit I had laying around to fix mine.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              There's another idea I like.

Take the plug out, drill and tap a hole up the center of it. Drill straight. Put a bolt in the hole. This is your new drain plug. Use a crush washer to seal it. You may have to cut a channel in the old plug so the oil all comes out if it goes up into the oil pan too far. Not sure if it does on a 450. Put the old plug in with JB Weld, it ain't coming out. Ever.

You now have steel plug on steel threads, it won't strip out again. It may take a few seconds longer to drain the oil, no big deal.

And you can hold the big bolt with one wrench and get a good grip on the other one without worrying about twisting it off.

Good idea!

the 450 has some room above the oil plug but even a bolt just as long as the original plug would work fine.
              Stephen.
              1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
              1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
              Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
              GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
                And you can hold the big bolt with one wrench and get a good grip on the other one without worrying about twisting it off.
                No need to hold anything, put it in with JB and it isn't going anywhere.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, got my local mechanic to put an
                  insert in, sorted, just waiting for the gasket and a new
                  copper washer.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by nino View Post
                    Thanks for the advice, got my local mechanic to put an
                    insert in, sorted, just waiting for the gasket and a new
                    copper washer.

Cheers
                    Gee for the cost of the mechanic you could have gotten a used sump from the wreckers that was good

Comment

Working...
                    X