White smoke out of shifter side exhaust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

White smoke out of shifter side exhaust

So after another ride around the town today I noticed a moderate amount of white or light gray smoke coming out of the left exhaust pipe. Initial research said it could be a blown head gasket, but further research on air cooled, two stroke engines posits that it might be a leaky crankcase gasket seal. What do you all think? How would I diagnose? Really not looking forward to a complete engine tear down. Is this a gasket easily replaceable?

Originally posted by gspower View Post
    ..., but further research on air cooled, two stroke engines ...
    Exactly what bike are you talking about?

Although many of us have different bikes, I am not sure how many of us are well-versed on two-stroke engines.

None of the GS series Suzukis had two-stroke engines, so you might be on the wrong forum entirely.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've got a 79 GS425E. The guy that sold it to me knew nothing about it, was unsure of the year even, and was under the impression it was a 2 stroke. Guess I was wrong. I only have a mild amount of smoke out of the left exhaust.

Additionally, if this is a leaky head gasket, do I have to remove the engine from the bike to access it? I'm pretty mechanically inclined and the manual stated, I think, that I can access the head cover without removing the engine, but I'm not 100% sure. If anyone's done this, let me know.
      Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2014, 03:00 PM.

Comment

I have the same bike. Why don't you run it a while. The piston rings need to get hot and reseat themselves. A lot of time the smoke will go away after you get some life and heat backin it. Why are you talking head gasket? If you need a head gasket..there would be oil seeping out between the head (top part of engine w the spark plugs) and the jugs (section of motor below the head where the pistons live). Why don't you run around on it for a good half hour or 45 minutes and see what's happening then. Also put a new set of plugs in it before hand. Be sure you check the gap in them. After riding it around a while, pull the spark plugs and see what color they are. That is going to help further diagnose what is happening with the fuel and the air. One step at a time and we can sort you through this. Everything sounds pretty normal for an old bike that has been sitting.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-18-2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

And if you've just discovered your new bike is actually a 4-stroke, you may want to check the valve clearances...

Comment

You also may want to check your oil level . If the petcock is leaking by and filling the crank with gas , it will smoke light grey if it gets full enough. What maintenance has been done?
            1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
            80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
            1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
            83 gs750ed- first new purchase
            85 EX500- vintage track weapon
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
            If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

I have had the bike for less than 24 hours and was going off of what the previous owner said. The previous owner didn't know anything about it. I will definitely put new plugs in, maybe iridiums, and check them after a long ride when my plates come. Oil level looks alright but I haven't changed it yet. Maintenance? Hah. I doubt there has been any maintenance at all on it. I'm a little limited on resources right now. Thanks for the replies -- means a lot.

Comment

Pulled the plugs today ... the right side looked good, a nice brown, but the left side (the side I'm smoking from) was pretty blacked. I put a little Seafoam in the tank to blow the crap out of the carbs before tearing them down, and took it out for a spin ... holy cow, what a difference in acceleration. Will be giving it an oil change in the next few days too, once my filter arrives at the local auto store.

Comment

Originally posted by gspower View Post
                  I will definitely put new plugs in, maybe iridiums, ... I'm a little limited on resources right now.
                  You are "limited on resources" and you want to get Iridiums?

I wish I was that "limited".

Save your money, the stock NGK B8ES plugs work just fine.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    You are "limited on resources" and you want to get Iridiums?

I wish I was that "limited".

Save your money, the stock NGK B8ES plugs work just fine.

lol, Steve. I'm not limited financially. All of my tools are in my other shed 350 miles away. That being said, I did buy a set of stock B8ES plugs.

Comment

Working...
                    X