gs450 cam timing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs450 cam timing

So I don't have a manual, which cylinder is.supposed to be at tdc, left or right while sitting.on the bike? I read its the right, but in other bikes its the left. Just need to know which one. Thanks

What you should do is download the Factory Service Manual from this site, then you can do it yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by 86gs450 View Post
      So I don't have a manual, which cylinder is.supposed to be at tdc, left or right while sitting.on the bike? I read its the right, but in other bikes its the left. Just need to know which one. Thanks
      You can sit on the bike with either cylinder at TDC, or none of them.

Even when it's running.

I'm thinking I missed part of the question.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This forum ****ing sucks. No one except "Pete" has been of any help during my restoration. Across the board. **** this forum. I'm surprised it even has members still, everyone is a ****ing ******* smart ass. I'm ****in done.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          I'm thinking I missed part of the question.
          I guess I did also, Tom.

Comment

Personally, since he said he did not have a manual, I thought that pointing him to a manual would have been a good thing. Guess that tells me what I get for thinking.

Comment

Your question was a little vague for Koolaid Kid and Tkent to answer properly

Do get the manual though! The link Koolaid Kid posted has the Clymer and Haynes manuals, download both.

Edited to correct my original incorrect answer: It is the right cylinder that needs to be at TDC.

And while your subject says cam timing, your post didn't... so what you're asking is which cylinder should be at TDC while checking cam timing...
              Last edited by pete; 05-06-2014, 03:34 PM.
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Pete, are you a diplomat in training?
                1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ha, not likely! I just managed to see both sides on this one... and I've been having a PM conversation with the OP on the topic so I know what he's looking for

And I believe I was wrong above, I believe it is indeed the right cylinder that is timed first after having a read through the factory manual last night... the crank needs to be on the T mark on the R side of the advance plate...

sigpic

Comment

Sad to see member with only 20 posts go crazy and leave over what was a misunderstanding! terrylee

Comment

Yeah, it's the right cylinder at TDC for setting the cam timing.

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I apologize for blowing up earlier. I'm just beyond fed up with this issue. I got the timing in place, I think, and now its just blowing fuel back through the carbs. But if I have the carbs off, it sucks air in through the carb boots. Is this backwards? Meaning 180 off? Or possibly just a tooth off on the chain? Again, I'm sorry for losing my cool.

Comment

manuals

I have to admit the Clymers manual regarding the timing of the cams is especially poorly done. I recommend the factory manual. But unfortunately I only have a hard copy. And all the other sites everyone is mentioning are no longer valid. So I do not understand how these "helpful" people in these forums can be giving you such poor advice regarding manuals. I dunno, but I think too many of these "helpful" people are really just too "full of themselves" to "help" anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by 86gs450 View Post
                            Hey guys, thanks for the info. I apologize for blowing up earlier. I'm just beyond fed up with this issue. I got the timing in place, I think, and now its just blowing fuel back through the carbs. But if I have the carbs off, it sucks air in through the carb boots. Is this backwards? Meaning 180 off? Or possibly just a tooth off on the chain? Again, I'm sorry for losing my cool.
                            I must've missed this along the line somewhere... so carb's off, it appears to be creating a vacuum like it should.

When you say it's blowing fuel back through the carb's, how do you know this? Have you got the air box in place or pods or something?

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X