Air Box Removal advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Box Removal advice

Anyone tell me how to get the airbox off my GS450, I want to get the carbs off and also the airbox to give a good clean.

I cant get the carb screws out as they are pozi screws and not bolts, so taking out the intake boot and then the carbs is looking difficult to do.

OK, Carbs are now off, rear fender splashguard also removed and airbox pulled back as far as possible to allow the carbs to come out, so far so good, battery tray also unbolted, but no way is there enough room to get the airbox out, forwards, backwards or sideways.

Only way out looks to be to remove the engine.. surely not ?

Comment

Originally posted by Showtime View Post

When they put it together, easy airbox removal was probably not a high priority. Can you clean it out in place?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Showtime View Post
        Sorry, but yeah.

Sucks to have a 450, doesn't it.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I took a Dremel to mine ('82 1100e), then installed pods.
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Been a while since took one off wife's bike, but think I had to remove cam chain tensionor , after removing everything you did, then turn box sideways and take out on the left side. terrylee

Comment

I'm picking up a 450E tomorrow, disassembled. Maybe I can figure something out for you.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                Sorry, but yeah.

Sucks to have a 450, doesn't it. Haha.. funny that ... apparantly Yes it does..

Engines coming out once I get it running right, just re-shimmed the valves and carbs off to be soda blasted and ultrasonically cleaned

Comment

I remember this problem on the rebuild on my 400. My reaction was...wait you cant have to take the engine out.

You can just get away with taking the heads off.

Comment

Push it back, turn to the right until its sideways, pull it out to the left.
                    Its a B#$% but is possible although it does deform some of the corners.

Best not to remove it though.
                    I'd clean it in place with some break cleaner. Just remove the battery, protect everything from overspray and let it drain out the bottom hose.
                    Stephen.
                    1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                    1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                    Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                    GS twin wiki

Comment

Thanks all, will post up some progress pictures at the weekend, but for now, I'll leave the thing in place. Engine out next weekend.. Nurse !!

Comment

It is a pain! I put vm32's on my bike and cut the box out. Maybe straight out the back?

Comment

After looking at mine in discust, I thought about removing the rear fender completly, then sliding the airbox back, have to replace rear brake shoes so its a good excuse to pull the wheel and airbox too!

Comment

Working...
                          X