Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drivetrain Issue

My bike is a 1983 Suzuki GS450E

There's a rattling noise coming from the area or my drive sprocket. The rattling noise matches to speed of rolling, so when I'm going slowly it's a kind of slow grinding or clanking sound and at speeds over about 65 Mph it's a howling sound. I had a look at the drive sprocket itself recently and all the teeth looked good, but I'm wondering if it has some kind of cush-drive rubber thing going bad or even a bearing there going bad. What do you think it could be? What should I pull apart and check on?

Any help is greatly appreciated of course.

How tight do you keep your chain? A tight chain will wear bearings quickly. How old is the chain and sprockets? Also what type of chain is it (o-ring, x-ring, other)?

Comment

Loose nut, but most likely worn down sprocket teeth and stretched chain arent meshing very well anymore.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by gpd211 View Post
        How tight do you keep your chain? A tight chain will wear bearings quickly. How old is the chain and sprockets? Also what type of chain is it (o-ring, x-ring, other)?
        The chain was installed about 6 thousand miles ago and hasn't been overly tight. It's an o-ring.

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Loose nut, but most likely worn down sprocket teeth and stretched chain arent meshing very well anymore.
        Last time I was in there a few weeks ago the teeth looked good. There could be some stretching of the chain I suppose. And the nut sounds like a good thing to check on. Thanks

Comment

Working...
        X