Starter Clutch,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter Clutch,

Ok i'm going to assume this is bad. I rebuilt my starter got done with everything last night and my starter was free spinning.

pulled the stator cover offer and its all lined up and the gears are just spinning without grabbing the crank..

I figure my starter clutch is fried. but i'm wondering because it wasn't before i pulled everything (that i was aware of)

how much of a nightmare am i in for with it?

Try tightening down the rotor first. The nut at the end of the crank.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Checked it, its good and tight no issue's there. I'll go ahead and start working on pulling the starter clutch off.

ETA: maybe tomorrow, I need to rent a slide hammer.
      Last edited by Guest; 06-14-2014, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trax View Post
        Checked it, its good and tight no issue's there. I'll go ahead and start working on pulling the starter clutch off.

ETA: maybe tomorrow, I need to rent a slide hammer.
        Which engine is it?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The engine is an 81 450

Comment

Before whacking with slide hammer,try threading in 16 mm bolt (?); the bolt end will push against crank and as you tighten and tap bolt head, the rotor will "back" off crank taper.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ok I did some digging and checking things out.

after i got the Magneto cover off i cranked the engine to see what was going on.

the starter was turning the wrong way.

After wracking my head for a while i took it apart and looked at it. looks like i didn't wait long enough before putting it back together as the magnet shifted a bit and was jb welded into place.

I flipped the casing around on the starter and it started moving the right way. put it back together and great its cranking the engine. only downside now is i have to mail order a new gasket for the magneto cover, as the old one cracked as soon as i lifted it off.

glad i stopped and did some more checking before trying to get the starter clutch off.

Comment

Working...
              X