No announcement yet.

Engine vibration 4500 rpm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What bike are we talking about? I can ride my GSX400 at 5000 rpm for more than 3 hours at a stretch and not have any "symptoms" except caffeine withdrawal....

Comment

I think the old Grab On sponge type grips are also helpful with 'numb thumbs'.
      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

In my experience, once these engines feel smooth at 5k, chances are your engine mounts are all loose :P

All mine were loose when the engine wore the powdercoat down but it was much smoother These things should be ruber mounted!
        Stephen.
        1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
        1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
        Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
        GS twin wiki

Comment

Seriously, I had no idea these bikes were all so different!

It might be interesting for me to attach a camera (with a high frame-rate in movie mode)to handlebar end or maybe a footpeg and see what the vibes are...I have cameras where you can turn the Auto-stabilisation off. Stuff like this intrigues me usually after a coupla coffees and smokes ...it'd be pretty interesting after carb-synchs and to compare various bikes that come within my ken.
          Last edited by Gorminrider; 07-08-2014, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mekanix View Post
            In my experience, once these engines feel smooth at 5k, chances are your engine mounts are all loose :P

All mine were loose when the engine wore the powdercoat down but it was much smoother These things should be ruber mounted!

Never owned a British twin ?..........

Comment

Engine vibration

This is an 81 GS 450l I am having vibration issues with. Current mileage is 25k. Ever had exhaust cause this issue?

Comment

Originally posted by GregT View Post
                Never owned a British twin ?..........
                Not yet :P

Vibrations can come from lots of different things or could be just the way that engine went together. If it was ever rebuilt, the counterballance shaft could be off a tooth. Maybe the bearings for the CB shaft or crank are worn enough to cause the vibration. Could also be the mag rotor magnets falling apart or the resin that holds them in place has flaked off and caused an imbalance..
                Last edited by Mekanix; 07-10-2014, 11:15 PM.
                Stephen.
                1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
                1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
                Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
                GS twin wiki

Comment

rk-rider,

It seems i am experiencing similar vibrations, same bike. What were your thoughts on the exhaust causing this?

Comment

Working...
                  X