Starter motor and possible starter clutch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starter motor and possible starter clutch

When I first got the bike I knew I need to clean out the carbs because of how long its been sitting, however I decided to put in some new plugs and try and starting it just for the heck of it.
    Well It did start, only with the choke open of course but I did notice a weird noise when I shut it off. When It was running it sounded fine but when I shut it off for a couple maybe 1 or 2 seconds I could heard what sounded like a light grinding sound. It sounded like it was coming from the starter. Well I took the left two panels off so I could see more than just the starter motor gear itself well I found that the starter motor gear or the splines on it were badly worn down but the starter relay gear next to it and the flywheel next to it were fine not a scratch on them. So I removed the starter motor so I could replace it of course but I was concerned about the starter clutch I heard that sometimes the bolts on it sometime vibrate out but I'm not sure if I need to replace the starter clutch or not. I could only hear the light grinding sound for a couple of seconds after shutting off the engine. obviously the starter needs to be replaced and very well could be the only culprit, please tell me what you think I should do about the starter clutch. Not to mention its impossible to see behind the flywheel.

Oh my bike is an 83' Suzuki GS300L they only made it for a few years so there is next to nothing on any repair info or diagrams so I will need instructions as well.
    Please any help you can give me is greatly appreciated. Thank you

Your 300 is similar to 450 in mechanics- have you seen the parts fiches?

Since you have starter motor out, turn it by hand and see if it sounds/feels unpleasant. Maybe gunk got in it as it sat.
    With motor out, the big gear on starter clutch should sorta spin clockwise by hand (facing it), but will "lock up" in CCW if all is normal- does this clutch assembly appear free?
    Your starter motor is same model as my shaft driven 650
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
    X