Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excessive fuel leak and simple stator ?

K2014-07-30 19.23.41.jpg

I pulled the carbs and found these fuel streams in the airhorn. I believe this was why my bike idled at 4500 rpm when warm. It was pulling fuel from the vacuum port hooked to the petcock. I did remove the carb hangers and the left one showed evidence of leaking.
    Having a heck of a time finding a replacement petcock. Even called K and L and he could only give me the size center to center.
    Going to install a new Stator tomorrow, do I need to drain the oil? I am just replacing the whole charging system and not messing with it.

Z1 or this guy has your petcock

also has cheaper model with less reserve capacity

no need to drain oil for stator change- just lean it against something solid and lock it there securely.
    make sure you understand which hose goes where: an air leak ( as opposed to fuel) is likely cause of high idle

you have no choice but to "mess with charging system" - new parts are only part of solution to a reliable system!
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

No need to change the oil for a stator change but it may have gas in it due to the leaky petcock. Check the oil to see if it's overfilled or has a gas odour. If so you need to change it.
      '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

The biggest problem with the charging system is corroded grounds and the problematic stock wiring, ie the "headlamp switch stator loop issue". Randomly changing charging system parts won't address these concerns. Also, the best R/R to use in the SH-775 if you happen to need one.

The high idle issue is likely an air leak concern. Issues like this are covered in the newbie mistakes thread (linked in my signature) so you might want to check it out.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thank you for the replies

I agree and I have said it a million times, new parts just mean they are new. I used the diag tree supplied by this site and have found elevated resistance in the wiring from the battery to the RR and the ground to engine case. I have replaced all that except for the ground to engine case because when I back out the bolt it hits the swing arm before I can get it all the way out. I have been meaning to ask can I ground this somewhere else? The reason I asked is there is alreay a ground to frame as well which I have replaced but I would like to address this as well. I am doing the RR and the stator while I have the bike apart, I can afford it right now so I just want to do it. I am using a Rick's RR that is 3 phase and an Arrowhead stator AU4001 as recommended on another thread on this site. When I start to ride this full time I would rather not have to worry about anything.

Regarding the fuel petcock, I suspected it leaking into the carbs so I pulled the line and switched it to prime and the bike idled where it should. I did smell fuel in the oil, I mean it smelled bad so I knew I should just go ahead and replace the petcock. While the tank is off I thought I would replace the o-rings in the carb hangers, again pre-cautionary. When I pulled them the left side showed evidence it was leaking so I am glad I did this too.

I really try to learn from you guys and take that advise and apply it. I guess I feel if there are some known issues with this bike, why not just fix them and be done with it. I really like the motorcycle and have no desire to have a different one so I am just going to do a partial restore, get all this out of the way, and ride this thing for years. No reason in my mind to look for an upgrade, it has reasonable power, handles decent, I am comfortable on it; it does what I want including bringing a smile to my face. That is all I need out of it.

Comment

I do suggest that you have a drain pan under the stator cover before you remove it. Just in case.

Comment

Yep, no need to drain the oil just to change the stator.

To "lean the bike", as tom203 suggested, you can put a 2x4 under the left side of the centerstand.

It is actually surprisingly stable like this.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Unfortunately, you are not up to date on R/R's - since you like bike and plan to keep it ,do some reading. You need a series unit- any shunt unit is inferior no matter how impressive it sounds.

1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Tom, yes I am aware of my ignorrance; no I am not aware of just how ignorrant I am. I have made a word DOC of the material you sent and printed it off for reading material at home. Thank you very much I need this kind of help.

Steve awesome idea, I love this kinda stumble onto ideas.

Comment

Nice sidecover, Steve.
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                    X